Day 80: Erie PA to Ripley NY - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2021

Day 80: Erie PA to Ripley NY

Corn and Bean Fields turn into vineyards

“This looks like a beautiful day to cycle,” Sarah, our Warmshowers host says. We had a great stay with Mark and Sarah and 3 kids. Today is a short day, the sky is cloudy but no rain predicted for this morning. We even need our sunglasses again.

We are only a block away from getting back onto the Northern Tier Route on Highway 5. We continue to follow the signs for Bike Z route and the Seaway Trail, though at times the direction is a little funky so we stay on Highway 5. As the morning progresses, the humidity does rise. There’s not much along this stretch for supplies or second breakfast.

The road is more rolling, with dips to cross rivers and short climbs back up. We cross into New York with only a few miles to go to our next Warmshowers host. Still on Route 5, the bike route number changes to 517.

The big change is in agriculture. Gone are the corn and bean fields and replaced with acres and acres of vineyards. We find out from our host, Mike that most of the grapes are concord grapes for Welch’s grape juice, and those not acceptable for Welch’s go to making Morgan David Wine. He welcomes us with a nice lunch of paella and gazpacho soup. We rest and do laundry. At Happy Hour time, Michael drives us to the Five & 20 Brewery where route 5 and route 20 cross. He is supposed to be meeting up with a friend and after 5pm pints are $2. It’s nice to see some of the countryside away from the road we are riding.

He gets a call from his friend who is waiting at the Big Inlet Brewery in Mayville, so we are off to that brewery. There is live music and a food stand making flatbread pizzas that we have for dinner. After driving back Mike walks us from his house to the cliffs overlooking Lake Erie. It is clear and we get to see a nice sunset.

 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWe were really surprised at the vineyards here, until learning this is where all the grape juice comes from.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of Lake Erie
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of wineries in the area
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are in New York
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mike and Mike and Patrick at the Big Inlet Brewery listening to live music and eating flatbread pizza.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over Lake Erie from Mike's property
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 3,269 miles (5,261 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0