Day 59: Rest Day in Madison - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2021

Day 59: Rest Day in Madison

Adjusting our planned route

“Wake up, we have to go to the basement,” Leslie is knocking on our door. There is a thunderstorm and the weather alert siren is sounding. It is 1:00 am. We all go to the basement to wait out the storm. Patrick and Evan are both on devices tracking the storm. An impressive line of thunderstorms is moving north to south across Wisconsin. After about 30 minutes the all clear is given and we all return to bed.

Not much on the agenda today. We are need to rework our route due to being in the tourist area on the weekend, the prices of accommodation go up exponentially, no camping, and no warmshowers hosts. Our original plan to take the Glacial Drumlin trail to Jefferson and pick up the Glacial River Trail. This section to the Wild Goose Trail toward Fond du Lac was where accommodation just wasn’t working out and ended up being as Patrick says, “a wild goose chase.”

The new plan is stay on the Glacial Drumlin State Trail to the end at Waukesha. There we can stay with a Warmshowers host just off the trail. We’ve worked out the connection to the Bugline State Trail at Sussex to Menomonie Falls and at Mequon the Ozaukee Trail to Port Washington picking up Sheboygan Interurban Trail North. Then up to Manitowoc to catch the Badger Ferry. There are more camping and Warmshowers hosts opportunities on this route.

The morning starts slowly, Leslie is at work and Evan is watching Wyatt. After breakfast, we walk to the Olbrich Botanical Gardens. This is a beautiful park and has the only Thai Pavilion in the country. Then Evan and Patrick go shopping for supplies, and Rachel watches Wyatt. The afternoon though is productive in contacting potential hosts that will help determine the route.

Evan fixed us dinner on the BBQ: Corn still in the husks, asparagus, zucchini and steak. We have had a good time visiting with Evan and Leslie, both Registered Nurses. They both have cycled toured and even worked several summers in Antarctica.

Canal to the boat dock by the Botanical Gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thai Pavilion
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWow! I’m so glad you weren’t bicycling when the weather alert happened. It sure has been freaky weather everywhere this summer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Joanna HanselmannI was thinking about you both when I was watching the storm go through! Thankfully you had a roof over your head! Joanna, Sleepy Hollow IL
Reply to this comment
2 years ago