Day 54: Rest day in La Crosse - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2021

Day 54: Rest day in La Crosse

Boat ride on the Mississippi River

“If you want to see the city from the water, we can take you out on our boat,” John says in the morning. Later in the afternoon, we are on his boat and feeling the coolness off the water. La Crosse is where 3 rivers converge: the Mississippi, the Black River, and the La Crosse River. JoLynn teaches in her classes the history of La Crosse. She tells us the legend of Ho-Chunk Three Rivers Nation that where three rivers meet there will be no natural disasters. 

In the morning, John takes us along to the food co-op for breakfast supplies and for snacks for the road. He drives us up to Granddad Bluff. We had heard this sight is not to be missed, but we certainly are happy not to have cycled the road up to it. This is a 600ft bluff with a view of the Mississippi River and three states: Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. We are a bit lazy, until JoLynn drives us to the downtown area and drops us off at Pickerman’s Soup and Sandwich. We walk around downtown and along the harbor and find The Pearl Ice Cream shop for good Wisconsin ice cream. We then walk back to their place admiring nice prairie style homes in the neighborhood.

Around 4pm, JoLynn takes us to the Pettibone boat club to meet up with John who took a bike ride. First, we go to their boat and get it ready by taking the cover off and set up awning. We go find John at the clubhouse and have a beer. On the boat, John asks “Which way to go,” and JoLynn says “North and the Black River.” After a nice cruise on the water, we go to the Bodega Brew Pub for dinner.

A very nice rest day. Tomorrow a short day to Sparta, with the heat and humidity we are staging the next few days to where we can stay in motels. This weather is no fun to be in a tent.

 

View from Grandad Bluff
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A walk about downtown
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The history of the Prairie Style and Queen Anne homes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Boat Club
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bodega Bar for dinner
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0