Day 38: Leeds to Devil's Lake - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2021

Day 38: Leeds to Devil's Lake

Happy 26th Anniversary to Us

“What a date! I keep looking for the blinker,” Patrick says as we are driving the Ranger, small 4WD lawn cart back from our anniversary dinner at “The Ranch”. Our WS host is the owner, and graciously gave us the 2 beers off the tab. “What a North Dakota experience!” Rachel says, “I keep seeing the picture of the woman in the wagon being driven by a man on a tractor in Mexico and you captioned taking your wife to town for a date.” We wonder how long it will take before this day becomes a “remember when.”

The ride today was quick even though the wind was against us once again, and the shoulder of the road kept switching from being wide to the rumble strips. We get some views of the lake. Devil’s lake is a misinterpretation of what the Indians called Spirit Lake. We get to town around 9am and go to MacDonald’s for an egg McMuffin meal. The dining room is closed, so Patrick rides up to the window and we sit at the curb to eat. Our WS Hosts, Joel and Ashley, live 2 miles south of the town on a mini farm. We had given them a heads up that we would arrive mid-morning, but we think Joel was just getting his day started, having just made a pot of coffee. We settle in, take a shower, do laundry, plot the route for the next few days, and work on pictures and the journal until the afternoon.

We drive the Ranger to the restaurant at 5pm, and have a very nice meal for reasonable prices. We briefly see Ashley, and Joel stops to talk with us at our table. This will be the last that we see of them due to their late night schedule.

We are making progress across North Dakota.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the photo referenced
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,548 miles (2,491 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’m glad to see you had an easier day on your anniversary. I hope you enjoyed it! You both are so tough!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago