Day 29: Glasgow to Wolf Point - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2021

Day 29: Glasgow to Wolf Point

Hot Hot Hot and no shade

When we arrived in Wolf Point, checked into the Sherman Inn and checked our email, we had this from Mary: “Thank you all for being here and perpetuating Kitchen Table Conversations. Slowly shrinking the Gap between all Peoples!!!  Carry on, my Friends.  Safe travels and see you in Boise!” We definitely have new friends in Glasgow and loved the kitchen table talk.

Our gear is loaded in the back of John’s pick-up truck and we ride with Mary into town around 7am. After unloading from the truck, and reassembling onto the bikes, we go Mary’s Wheatgrass Arts Gallery HOME | mysite (wheatgrassarts.com). It’s pretty incredible what Mary has created here. In the midst of the gallery, is a giant wire Chicken. The plan is to place it in a park, the saga continues. We say our good byes and ride to the Albertsons to stock up on some food for today’s ride.

About every 15 miles there’s a town, but no services. At Nashua, we enter the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. The wind is gentle on us, we have a headwind but it is soft enough to cool us without slowing us down too much. It is just that the road just seems long and goes on forever. We can see the water towers of the next town, Fraser and it seems like we are in a time warp and never getting there. On the outskirts, we see what looks like a pow-wow site, overgrown but with buildings and picnic tables. Shade! We take a food break, it’s hot. With another 21 miles to Wolf Point, it’s getting hotter, but there are no mosquitoes harassing us today. The shoulder changes width when we change counties but the road remains much the same with the traffic overall light and giving us room.

One can image buffalo on the prairie landscape. Robert rides ahead, and is at the gas station in Wolf Point when we catch up. He has purchased a gallon of cold water that he shares with us. It is hot and we are parched. On our way into town we pass several green city parks, but Wolf Point is not the kind of town you want to consider camping. There are bars on every street corner and we see several liquor stores. In the shade we see indigenous people hanging out, we are even cheered by a couple of groups. Spending the money on a motel is a good choice, we had made a reservation at the Sherman Inn. After checking in Robert and Patrick walk back to the Albertsons to pick up some lunch foods and snacks. 

The afternoon is spent in AC bliss watching Ukraine beat Sweden in the European Championships and then the Tour the France.  And with Internet being able to catch up with the journal, cycleblaze is such a cool site, we've heard from cyclists with journals here: George Hall, Jeanna and Terry Smith, and Scott and Rachael Anderson....love the networking!

We had a great stay with Mary and Swede
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary's paintings, Patrick may send her some photos to reproduce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wire chicken
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shopping at Albertson's before heading out of town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shade!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Pow Wow site with the only shade on this stretch
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sherman Inn in Wolf Point, better than camping
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even better, a room where we can just roll the bikes in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 1,184 miles (1,905 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0