Day 23: Cut Bank to Shelby - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2021

Day 23: Cut Bank to Shelby

Half a Rest day

We could see the flag on the hill in Shelby almost from Cut Bank, after all this is Big Sky Country. 

The wind is a strong cross wind in our backs, and the shoulder has narrowed to about a foot between the rumble strips and slanting edge of the road. The rolling fields are green and yellow, and wind turbines dot the horizon. The wind not quite as friendly as yesterday, we reach town by 10am. The future wind forecast for the next few days doesn’t look as good as yesterday’s wind.

There is construction on the outskirts of town toward the Interstate, with one lane coned off: our own private bike lane. Along the interstate are the chain hotels, too expensive. We pass Oyo Hotel and decide to continue on to the other smaller motels downtown. All of these we find closed, but in the search we end up going down Main Street of Shelby and the post office. We are mailing home cold weather stuff we won’t need across Middle America. Once in New England, if we need cold weather gear, we can pick that up then and also take with us to Holland.

Outside the Post Office, Robert calls Best Western Reservations to find the best deal… $200+ for 3 people. He then tries Oyo Reservations, and a room is available for $116 including taxes, and we decide to take it. The time being so early, being in a room, out of the wind, showers and WiFi, is well worth taking a half rest day. Cycling back to Oyo, Robert goes in and asks about a room. We can have a room for $88, and on the ground floor making it easier to haul in gear and bikes; Robert cancels the other reservation and we check into the room.

We use the half rest day to catch up with business. We had been notified that our return flight from Amsterdam in October was canceled. Patrick was on the phone for over an hour and still not sure if it sorted out, yet. Robert got errands and orders done. The European Football championship (Soccer) is on TV. Chinese Take out for Dinner. We are planning the next few days in staging the ride: three days to Harlem. 

All depending on the wind of course.

Curbside delivery of breakfast
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 865 miles (1,392 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0