Day 13: Usk WA to Sandpoint ID - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2021

Day 13: Usk WA to Sandpoint ID

Back home in Idaho, briefly

“Is that rain hitting the tent?” Patrick says. “Or is it bugs?” Rachel replies…there are a lot of mosquitoes. The forecast did call for rain. So we pack up and on the road by 6:15 am continuing on Leclerc Road to Newport. We stop at the foot of the bridge across the Pend Oreille River for a food break, it’s 7:30am. The weather is windy, but clear. “I’m going to have to get a different weather app,” Patrick says, ours was calling for overcast and rain.

And just like that, we are back home in Idaho…no matter how briefly. Right at the border is a flea market with a nice display of pro-trump flags. Got to love freedom of speech. We are following the Pend Oreille River on route 200, with a swirling headwind. We pass by the Albeni Falls Dam. The road undulates more than we would have liked, but we make good time.

In Laclede, we stop at a gas station for lunch break of ham and cheese sandwiches and chocolate milk. We text the O’Brien’s, and they respond “we are on the other side of the river from you.” This must be the route the ACA maps take. We text our Warmshowers host in Sandpoint to let them know our ETA and crank out the last miles trying to get there before noon. Patrick gets distracted for a little bit taking photos of what turns out to be a fake owl on top of a power pole. 

We pick up the Community Bike Path just outside town to Division Street and check the tablet for directions to our Warmshowers Hosts, Judi and Steve. We get settled in, a warm shower washes the road away, other tasks get done: laundry and update pictures and journal. The day is getting hot and Judi makes us Moscow Mules in the traditional copper mugs. Steve is making Chicken wings on BBQ for dinner. After dinner, Steve and Judi take us on tour up the mountain to Schweitzer Ski Resort where Steve works. Wow, what a daily commute he has! At the top, Judi explains that we are in the Selkirk Mountains looking at the Cabinet Mountains, and how the lake is like a giant question mark. She points out the island where Sam Owens Campground is located; a possibility of where we’ll be tomorrow, either that campground at 20 miles or further on at Big Eddy Campground at 40 miles. Then to Bad Medicine campground where there is a grove of Cedar Trees.

We’ve been leap frogging, and barely missing meeting up again with Robert or the O’Brien’s. We are all in Sandpoint and arranged to meet tomorrow morning for breakfast at Connie’s restaurant downtown. Our plan for the next stage to Libby is to take a short day tomorrow, then two longer days. 

Heart 1 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithGood looking trike :-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks for following along and commenting, it's so nice to hear from people while on the road. Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekThose would be good for cases of explosive diarrhea...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Patrick was convinced this was a real owl
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dover to Sandpoint Community Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arrived at Judi and Steve's, and the collection of bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the garden
Heart 1 Comment 0
Steve fixing the BBQ chicken wings
Heart 1 Comment 0
Judi, their Daughter Rene and Steve
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the Ski Resort
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 486 miles (782 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0