K2 Trek Day 4: Rest Day in Paiyu - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

K2 Trek Day 4: Rest Day in Paiyu

Reading, resting and a day hike

08 September 2023

There is a group of about 14 foreign trekkers that are one day ahead of us so they will leave today. They were also the group at our hotel in Skardu. We find out that 2 Australians in the group are turning back. 

Another group of 3 guys: Canadian, Swiss and Hong Kong, we had first met at a checkpoint driving to Skardu and again at Jola where we had time to visit. The Canadian is also turning back. 

What we've witnessed about these groups is that you have to keep up with the guide. This is why we decided to work with Sayed, Pakistan Holiday Tours, to build a customized tour with two guides so we can walk at our own pace. 

Today is a rest day, though Patrick takes a day hike with Muhammad up the side of Paiyu Peak. Rachel relaxes and reads a book.

At Paiyu camp a large group is getting ready to move further up. Lots of mules and porters to be loaded.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Porter getting ready for his work day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The white huts are pit toilets. Most are not really operational any more and have not been maintained for a long time. Most other camps along the Baltoro Glacier do not have toilet facilities, you just have to fine a rock to hide behind. At the end of the season most rocks nearby camping areas have been vistited before......
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have a restday before we head up onto the Baltoro Glacier tomorrow. Patrick is sitting in front of our tent. Piayu is the last place with trees that provide shade. It is a popular spot to take an aclimatization restday.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Muhammad crossing a stream on our way up the hill. The water is fine to drink for locals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cathedral Group on the left with Broad Peak starting to show on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We think this might be the top of K2 peaking out from behind the Cathedral Group.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick takes a day hike with Muhammed, heading straight up the Paiyu mountain side behind us. The view gets better as we gain height.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Broad Peak slowly becomes visible. The lower end of the Baltoro Glacier is visible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we get higher Broad Peak (8047m), the 12th highest mountain in the world, becomes visible at the end of the valley. We will be walking towards this giant for the next 4 days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Broad Peak and the Baltoro Glacier.
Heart 1 Comment 0
birth of the Braldu River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Close up of Broad Peak's summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Army helicopers have been flying back and forth to the base at Piayu and further up towards Gasherbrum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cairnes mark the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0