K2 Trek Day 2 Askoli (3000m) to Jola (3200m) - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

K2 Trek Day 2 Askoli (3000m) to Jola (3200m)

06 September 2023

Today we start the trek to Jola (3200m).  This took awhile to organize the equipment but soon we are off. The walk at first is an easy gentle plain, and we stop at the office to sign in officially. 

We cross the snout of the Biafo Glacier and the first sight of the pinnacles of the Paiyu Group. We reach camp before the porters, and we find out the mules took off up a mountain and they had to track them down.

There is another group of 3 men: a Canadian, a Swiss and Hong Kong. Their camp is already set up and as we wait for our porters we are provided hot tea and a time to visit.

After organization of equipment by our team of Cook, Assistant Cook, Trek guide and assistant, two mule porters with 3 mules....the trek begins to Jola from 3000m to 3200m
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green valley near Askoli. The local people had no reason to travel far up the valley because there is very little vegetation up higher. Therefore K2 did not have a name in the local language and just stayed K2.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back toward Askoli
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Checking in at the headquarters for the Park we get a closeup view of the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Closeup of the Route
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGlobe thistles of some species. Kind of unique. Perhaps Indian globe thistle.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/542116-Echinops-echinatus
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Paiyu group
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We start seeing the Karakorum mountains
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
To get cows to cross a suspension bridge these guys carry their calves across. The cows will follow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You're on a suspension bridge and a wild kid with a wheelbarrow comes charging towards you....now what?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just step aside!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our cook provides a lunch bag for all of us. Typically groups will stop for a longer lunchbreak with hot food. We explained to Sayed that we learned on our biketrps to take more frequent but short breaks. So we forgo the hot lunch and snack during the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned camp at the Biafo Glacier. We will camp here on our way back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Briefly the rain starts but doesn't last long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large new suspension bridge at Jola. The army is working to extend the jeep road to Paiyu.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our mules finally arrive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The guys quickly set up our tent and large kitchen tent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our camp for the night at Jola. We arrived before our porters, we found out that the mules had taken off and the porters had to chase after them up the mountain
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kitchen tent is warm and cozy, once you get used to the roar and fumes of the kerosene stove. The guides and cook sleep in here, the mule drivers prefer to stay close to the mules and sleep under a tarp between low stone walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0