Day 96: Maribor to Lavamund Austria - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2023

Day 96: Maribor to Lavamund Austria

Drava River Trail Stage 2 and Stage 1

“Yes, Fast,” says the local cyclist riding an e-bike. We have just crossed over the river from the main road to Podvelka and get back on the trail. Most of the cyclists we see today with touring bags are all on e-bikes. None stop to talk. There is only an occasional local cyclist on a regular bike.

We navigate out of Maribor on bike paths, cross the bridge and then look if we can find the official trail. After a little bit of bushwacking, we find the red signs and are on the route. The first stretch to Ruse is on a nice path with new looking fencing between the path and railroad. The part of the trail from Ruse to Podvelka as best we can discern is the hilly portion.  So we go to Highway 1 until just before Brezno where there is a bridge across the river. On this stretch the highway follows the river closely rather than what the trail does by going up higher with more hills. Traffic is fairly heavy, but people are patient and give us room.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we get back on the bike route to Vuhred, we have not escaped hills, the difference though is no traffic. Sometimes though, we doubt the choice as we see the highway still along the river and the railroad. Until we can still hear in the distance whooshing of the sound of traffic and appreciate the quiet of our road.

At Vuhred, we find another straight road still south of the River until Vuzenica where we cross the river again and ride on Highway 1 for a few km until we cross back across the river to pick up the trail again at Trbonje. This takes us into Dravograd. The signage for the route is basically very good, but in the bigger cities, the signs can be less clear. We stop at a market to buy bread and a cold drink and eat lunch.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe red catchfly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silene_dioica
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltThis one I have not forgotten!

Forget me not!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myosotis_sylvatica
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We see from a distance the two bridges across the river one a pedestrian bridge that Patrick is sure will be the route. Just before crossing the bridge we stop for a coffee and eat the last of a cake we’ve been carrying.

Dravograd. We will cross the pedestrian bridge (first in the distance) and pick up a bike path to Austria, 5km. There is a castle on top of the hill on the right.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we set off again, and on the bike path climbing away from the river, we hear rolling thunder. By the time we reach the Austrian border and as we take the border photo, sprinkles start. We don our rain jackets once again and as we take off riding, there is a downpour.

Pedestrian bridge, we will turn left onto another bike path and head to Austria.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see the castle on the hill, and we hear rolling thunder.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cyclist counter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rain lets up by the time we reach the guesthouse where we arrive just as it is check in time of 3pm. We are given “Welcome to Austria” beers, and the bikes are locked in a garage. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
The guesthouse host gives us "welcome to Austria" beers
Heart 2 Comment 0
Main street of Lavamund
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 3,733 km (2,318 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0