Day 71: Prrenjas to Ohrid - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2023

Day 71: Prrenjas to Ohrid

Into North Macedonia

“I wonder if the trench will disappear at the border,” Patrick says as we start out of town the hill climb.

The trench, deeper on the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 1

We look out the window and see blue skies. After breakfast in the room, we load the bikes in the hallway and roll out. There’s a chill in the air.

We start the climb, the trench is deep now with not much build up. Some sections of the climb are steeper that the average grade. “Take one hairpin at a time,” Patrick says. We can see back from where we rode yesterday and the town. The grade varies from about 5% to as steep as 10%.

Looking back at Prrenjas
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing the hill. More switchbacks behind
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

At the first high point we stop for coffee and eat the baklava from yesterday. The road flattens out a bit to the border. The border crossing into North Macedonia is easy and quick and then another gain of about 75 meters before the downhill. The trench disappeared at the border, instead there are moguls. 

View from the Swiss Hotel where we took a break. Pillboxes on the hillside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trench. The hill.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike AylingNasty thing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of Lake Ohrid.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Approaching the border crossing into North Macedonia
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Downhill begins!!! The Trench disappears! Replaced by moguls.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Eventually the road smoothens for a nice ride then we reach the construction and see why the road was smooth. There is a stoplight for the one-way traffic. Patrick says let’s ride on the other side. So, we have a bike lane on the construction side that is being rolled and hard packed. We have views of the lake. RWGPS takes us off the main road to a road along the lake.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWow! That’s a lot of snow.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Colorful beehives
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Off the main road and onto the road that follows the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The first town we reach has a bike path along the lake, we stop to fix a sandwich; we still have 9km to go. The bike path becomes more of a path and then back to the road. We wave at a girl bikepacking as she rides the opposite direction and doesn’t stop. Very soon after this, we see a couple on fully loaded bikes and a trailer. They are really loaded down, she is from Montenegro and he is French. We have a nice visit at the side of the road and share information of what’s ahead for each of us.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Only looking at the picture now do we see the ripped shorts.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ride into Ohrid continues along the lake into town. Patrick spots a currency change office and we stop before continuing on to our accommodation. The guesthouse is a bit further from the center of town, but it’s a good value for two nights. When we arrive, we see another touring bike parked in the tiny lobby, we think it is Andres and leave a note for him. We don’t hear back though.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Navigating to our hotel Villa Magdalena
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The room is nice, a view from the balcony where the bikes get parked, hot shower, only it’s on the third floor. The owner helps carry the gear up to the room. We decide to rest the afternoon before walking back into town. Patrick sees an Irish Pub on googlemaps so the decision on where to eat tonight is easy. Rachel jokes: “we’ll be able to visit every country without eating their food”. The food is okay, but the locally brewed stout they have on tap is excellent. The walk back to our guesthouse seems longer than the walk down.

Oops, another pair bites the dust. Just in time to use for cleaning the chains.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonToo bad, but does that mean you don’t have to use your blue top? It’s such a nice color on you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Rachael AndersonYes, my blue top has a reprieve.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
View from the balcony through the laundry and the Boise Goathead Festival scarf!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Menu in English and a waiter that spoke English.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way back to the hotel we stopped at the market to buy milk for mornings breakfast, and see these.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The castle on the hill and walking through the old town of Ohrid we'll save for tomorrow's rest day.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,528 km (1,570 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0