Day 70: Elbasan to Prrenjas - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2023

Day 70: Elbasan to Prrenjas

First rainy day

“RidewithGPS takes us on a couple of these side roads that I don’t think we need to do,” Patrick points out on the map. We decide to just stay on the main road. “It’s nice not to have to stop and continually check the navigation,” he adds.  Looking at the threatening skies we put our heads down and cycle the flat hill. The elevation gain today is almost a thousand meters.

A thunderstorm came through at night and it poured, when we wake it is still raining softly. We dress in our raingear and waterproof socks: gear that we have carried for 10 weeks and not needed before now. The hostel owner agreed to have breakfast for us at 7:30 instead of the posted 8-10am time. As we sit at the table, we watch hens with baby chicks pecking in the grass; she brings us a plate of food. She indicates: fresh eggs, the bread she made herself. Andres, the German cyclist also comes out for breakfast. He too is setting off today in our direction and while we ride out first we expect him to catch up with us soon.

Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGreat breakfast!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 7 Comment 0

The road is only two lanes and seems to serve as a main trucking route. Traffic is heavy but for the most part we are given plenty of space. A nuisance is a 6” wide trench that was dug through the asphalt about 18” from the edge of the road. Probably for a cable. The paving repair was done sloppily, it is either way proud of the pavement, or has already fallen apart leaving a nasty groove that could easily grab your front wheel and throw you off balance. We constantly have to decide to try and ride on the 18” left on to the road edge and deal with the gravel and debris, or ride further in the road and slow down traffic. 

Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Andres catches up with us and goes on ahead. Then the graupel starts and heavy rain for about 10 minutes. We catch up with Andres as he is putting on his raingear. We pass him again and will not see him again. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Shkumbin river is raging and brown as we continue cycling upstream. The rain lets up. Patrick debates whether to take his rain pants off, “I hate cycling in them,” he says, “but I don’t want to jinx us.” At about 16km we stop at a café for coffee and eat the left over cookies from the Durres breakfast. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThe roofs and trees together are amazing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Live trout in the tank on the left
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street art: Abandoned building painted with ladybugs.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 0

We have intended to check-out a hotel just past the town of Prrenjas, but as we ride through the center we see a new looking hotel building. Patrick goes in to check on the price and is shown a 20 euro room on the rear of the building where we can roll the bikes right it. No stairs or elevator tonight. We decide to go no further. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After we quickly deposit our gear in the room we walk back to a restaurant to eat lunch. We are cold and starving. The restaurant has only one meal on offer, but it is a nice beef stew with mashed potatoes and bread. Together with a beer it takes the edge off. A hot shower does the rest. 

In search for a restaurant, Patrick asks this man and he points to a place across the street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the way back to the hotel, we stop in at the bakery for dessert and pastry for tomorrow. We order two baklava and she gives us an extra one, "one on the house."
Heart 5 Comment 0
See that car autoskhulle, we passed by so many of these today. This road must be used as training.
Heart 1 Comment 0

For dinner, we walk to a restaurant Patrick has researched. As the evening passes, we hear the call to prayer once again.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,489 km (1,546 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonWhat a spectacular ride, sorry you had the rain!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonThis looks like Albania! What a spectacular country to bike in. We only saw the south, but this looks just as remarkable.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bryony TelfordThat 6" wide trench sounds very familiar to our experience further west near Shkodër! The extra challenge is when one wheel of the trailer ends up on the wrong side and it crumbles away.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick Hugensthey must have decided to lay some cable all around Albania.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago