Day 6: El Jadida to Oualidia - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2023

Day 6: El Jadida to Oualidia

Meeting the Kepinski's Day

“I feel bad to feel good about us having a tailwind,” Patrick says thinking of the Kepinski’s having a headwind. “Especially since they have accommodated us with a change in their schedule so we could meet up,” Rachel adds.

The hotel starts serving breakfast at eight, we are down in the dining room just a few minutes early: Strong coffee, fresh orange juice, a boiled egg and croissants with jam. We have loaded the bikes in our room and manage to get them down in the elevator and out the restaurant door, the main door has a metal detector that is too narrow. It is foggy this morning. The forecast calls for fairly strong winds from the north today so that should work in our favor. The road leaving El Jardida is a four-lane with fairly heavy traffic, but everybody is respectful. When we have a shoulder we use it. 

Love hotels with elevators!
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 3
Robert SeneseThis is the first time I have been able to view posts and read and see about your adventures on my computer. Linda would pass me her phone and show me a photo or two. Now I can see what you do on your long-distance cycling trips and what I have been missing all these years. Your photos and journals are exciting to view, and it is easy to see that you are extremely accomplished at trip planning and preparation.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensThank you Robert. We sometimes overdo the planning a bit, but we prefer to be over-prepared but still stay flexible enough to change plans as needed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Robert SeneseAnd Thanks to you and Linda (more on FB), comments are so nice when on the road and hearing from people. Rachel
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

As the city disappears behind us we enter a busy industrial area. There is a deep sea port and lots of oil storage facilities. At about 20km we break out of that and enter a much more agricultural area. The road parallels the coast at about a kilometer away. Between us and the coast are fields full of cabbages, carrots, some are being harvested. Other fields are either fallow or being planted. We see lots of mostly women on donkeys with big baskets hanging from the sides.

After about 30km we take our first break at a shell station, we try a tea (very strong with huge chunks of sugar we don’t quite know what to do with). We also have some “palmier” cookies we found at the patisserie yesterday; they go great with nutella and laughing cow cheese.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith Adams"You are cordially invited to STAY THE HECK OUT." :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

“I see a cyclist coming toward us,” Patrick says. Cyril, a Swiss cyclist stops and we chat and do what cyclists do when meeting up on the road, exchange information. He had met the Kepinski’s before Safi.

He tells us the road further south will get prettier and prettier. We can only tell him about the hotel in Azemmour, and that the scenery gets worse from here. He already knows about the wind forecast for the next couple of days.

We stop at a petrol station for another break. Rachel sees two cyclists riding north and enthusiastically waves. They see us and ride over, they had just stopped for a break but did spend some time chatting. Lydia and Max, Australians have been in Morocco a month, starting in Marrakesh. Heading north through Spain and Portugal and towards Holland.  Blog — Riding Slow

Cyril from Switzerland, we tell him about the hotel in Azemmour
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Kim JohnsonHi Miles Jr! And yes, the real Mile is a darn Lucky cat!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Lydia and Max from Australia. ridingslow.com
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The wind has been helping us all day, but now the road starts to slowly gain elevation and all of a sudden we don’t feel as strong anymore. Then we get our first glimpses of the lagoon at Oualidia and enter the town. Our hotel is down a fairly steep road down to the lagoon. It is nice to end the day with a coast, but tomorrow we will have to climb back up here.

The Laguna Blue Hotel is a two story, blue and white motel-like structure. It’s about 3 when we arrive. We get our room with a balcony and haul are gear up to the second floor. Some cold water, ice cream, a bag of potato chips and a shower washes the day away. The Kepinski’s are not here yet, they must have had a much harder day fighting a headwind.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
the Hotel kitty
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then they arrive! And still smiling. We greet them in the lobby, even though this is our first meeting, we feel like they are old friends. We’ve followed each other through journals and Facebook for years. They have done a 5 year tour “Bike2ctheworld” and multiple other tours. bike2ctheworld, by Michael Kep...

And now,  “It started in Morocco” a tour including renting an apartment in Spain as an experiment of living in a foreign country for planning escaping the cold for future winters. It all started in Morocco, by ...

They are ready to go for dinner much sooner than we would have been after a hard day. We walk toward the Laguna and check out a few restaurants that we find out won’t open for a couple more hours. In the other direction we do find a decent place with very good food. The conversation is fantastic as we share stories, share information about the routes and places we stayed in each direction. This has been a highlight for us in meeting “the Kepinski’s.”

Joanna arrived, Michael is already in the lobby
Heart 6 Comment 0
Joanna and Michael Kepinski, we finally meet after following each other through journals!
Heart 9 Comment 1
Kim JohnsonSo nice when that works out!! Glad you guys were able to meet up!! I can think of some cyclists that I was happy to meet…. 😉

P.S. I feel sorry for them to though dealing with a headwind! Happy cycling to all!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 14 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat to see meet-ups of cycle tourists I've followed for years!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 183 km (114 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat’s great you were able to get together with the Kepinski’s. By the way, the link to there journal doesn’t work.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago