Day 114: Le Mont des Bruyeres to Nederzwalm - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2023

Day 114: Le Mont des Bruyeres to Nederzwalm

Along the Schelde River on the Canal

We knew it but did it anyway. It was there in plain view in the reviews for this campground. Roosters!

Roosters. Crowing in the campground starting at about 5:00am. So we get an early start, a good idea anyway with the way the wicked winds have been blowing and is predicted again for today. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
WWII bunker
Heart 1 Comment 0

We cross the Belgium border and then onto a bikepath along the canal of the Schelde River.

At one point the canal route crosses to the other side, RWGPS keeps us on this side so we keep on this side until there is a notice of a road closure. Since there are other options that are pretty much the same, we go to an alternate road until we make our way back to the canal bikepath.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Patrick says stop and point to this sign. "What does it say?" Rachel asks. In two languages, French and Dutch, "trash dumping prohibited" Patrick explains.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYou’ll never live this down.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A quiet place along the canal for a food break.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And Rachel carries the trash until a trash bin is found.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAs I was just saying.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bike path also on the other side of the canal with lots of local cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A shop that touts to be bike friendly. Rachel enters to ask for water, a man says "Closed" and no water is given.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find a market for ice cream and a cold drink. Patrick finds an Iso Drink for fluid replacement. And a bottle of water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

“Are you Patrick,” a woman asks as Patrick waits for Rachel to catch up. “She is our host tonight.” Ariana is walking their dog Rickie at the canal and the turnoff to their house. She gives us instructions of getting into their garden. Sebastian is at home working, so we wait on the patio for Ariana to return.

Patrick goes for a swim in the above ground swimming pool, we shower and settle in to visiting with the family. Sebastian fixes homemade pizza in their brand new BBQ. The 3 daughters show us the picture books of their 7 month tour of 5 years ago. We admire that Sebastian and Ariana took their kids then of 12, 10 and 8 cycle touring.

This is a musical family and after dinner we are given a concert of various instruments.

A great warmshowers stay, Patrick helps shell the walnuts, Homemade Pizza for dinner, and entertainment by the 3 daughters, a very musical family.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 4,868 km (3,023 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonYou’re really having some great warmshowers stays!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Rachael AndersonAgree, warmshowers works very well in Western Europe, USA and Canada.
This family and our WS hosts the following night, cycle toured with their kids! I think how I can barely manage myself, and to also have to look after kids is amazing.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago