Day 100: Riedlingen to Tuttlingen - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2023

Day 100: Riedlingen to Tuttlingen

Along the Donau River

The tent is pretty wet from dew in the morning and because of the trees it will be a while before the sun will hit our spot. So we pack up the wet tent, have some cereal for breakfast and head out. Even though there were quite a few cyclists that pulled into the campsite we only really talked with the English guy, the others mostly kept to themselves. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A picture frame.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
....For this picture...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltReminds me of the '70s song... "Lean on me" now I have an earworm...
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The trail still follows the Donau (Danube) River. We pass through some small towns, find coffee and pastry and enjoy the nice weather and light tailwind we have again today. Our initial goal today is a campground at about 50 km but we change our minds on that because of the tailwind. If we go further today it will make tomorrow, when we actually have to do some climbing a lot easier. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop of coffee and a pastry. We are getting use to the higher cost of such goodies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Somehow though we have made a miscalculation, sometimes RWGPS does not follow the biketrail but takes the liberty of a shortcut when mapping. That probably happened today because when the biketrail signs for Tuttlingen show up it is 10 kilometers more than we expected. The ride is beautiful though, there are castles and houses on top of cliffs, wheat fields and small villages with impressive churches.

Somehow we ended up on the wrong side of the river. We cross on a road bridge and walk down these steep stairs to the trail on the other side.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love these little signs
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stop for a food break and enjoy the view
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kim JohnsonPatrick has "chipmunk cheeks." 😂 Do you warn him before you take a photo or is it always, "the element of surprise?"
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the Donau River once again on our "historic" bikes....that's the new reference from 30 year old bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

There are again lots of day cyclists on their e-bikes and plenty of hikers. We almost run out of water and just as we consider filtering some we pass by a lodge. They have water for us, and we decide to have not only some homemade asparagus soups and bread, but also nice cold mugs of beer. We typically don’t drink beer while we still need to ride because sometimes that stuff goes straight into your legs. But today is an exception. We’ll see if this is a good decision by the end of the day.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stop but there is no train, it is verboten to cross until the lights are off, so we wait.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The remainder of the ride is less hilly and at about 4 we ride into Tuttlingen. There is a nice park with a hedged-off area where cyclists can camp for free. Adjacent is a beer garden and a building with restrooms and even showers. The building gets locked up though but it is not quite clear when. A Belgium guy has checked-out a key though and shares it with all in the campground. The unexpected hot shower is nice. We walk back to town to a nice Italian restaurant where a Czech waiter serves us pizza and spaghetti. 

Free cyclists camping area
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 3,965 km (2,462 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0