Girona to Olot - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2022

Girona to Olot

Today we entered a new region of Catalana, the Garrotxa.  Once out of Girona on their well-marked cycle trails we found the rail trail that went all the way to Olot.  It was hard-packed with a slight incline until our first break at a great rest spot with newly renovated bathrooms and shaded picnic tables.  Then the trail became very hilly and rough so we bailed onto the N260 at Amer.  The incline was a comfortable 6-7% and we spun along enjoying the efficiency of newly installed chains, 560m up to the dormant volcanic district of Girona.  The scenery changed dramatically from dry, gentle rolling hills to dramatic cliffs and the beginning of what can be called mountains through the Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park.  

Olot has 4 volcanoes scattered around the city center, so after a brief rest Steven said we had to climb up to see at least one.  I'm so glad he did.  It's only a 15 min hike up to the Montsacopa volcano, but with the walking path around the circumference of the rim of the volcano and climbing the 2 towers, it was a terrific pre-supper stroll and the view helped us map out our departure route.  Afterwards we wandered the city centre, then joined the townsfolk in the Plaza Major, enjoying happy hour with drinks and tapas.  We were starving but had to content ourselves with drinks until the magic hour of 8pm when we could order supper.   Sitting in a large square enjoying dinner with lots of activity going on around you, just feels so civilized.

We went lighter on dinner so we could try some fancy ice-cream that is made while you wait.  Cream and yogurt are poured on to a frozen metal tray and as it starts to freeze fruit, chocolate or cookies are added.  It's worked at until everything is chopped up, frozen, then flattened.  With a sharp spatula the fresh ice-cream is then rolled up and put in a dish.  It almost looks like frozen roses.  It was delicious and a great way to end another fabulous day biking.

Rest stop on the rail trail to Olot.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Gotta love an independent woman
Heart 4 Comment 2
Kelly MaherAnd that’s you!🤗💕
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyFun days. Wish you were here too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The N260 had a nice wide shoulder and not much traffic so we abandoned the dirt rail trail at Amer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Last night's heavy rain turned the rivers muddy brown.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesGolly, at first we thought this was the path you were riding. It looks smooth and wide. Then we read the caption.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Riding the median into Olot
Heart 4 Comment 0
Art Nouveau, the Gaiete-Vila
Heart 5 Comment 0
View of Olot from the volcano
Heart 8 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenThe views make the climbs worthwhile! What a great picture.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tomorrow’s route starts in this valley
Heart 2 Comment 1
Baroque Sola-Morales house Olot built in 1781. Refurbished in 1931
Heart 4 Comment 0
Statue detail from Baroque house
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gelato artists mixing up a treat
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 317 km (197 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David MathersSleep well, the hills are coming.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago