Figeac to Gramat - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2022

Figeac to Gramat

A cool day with possible rain in the forecast so, after a brief visit of the old centre in daylight, (we were there the night before to find a good restaurant for supper) we opted for the over-the-hill route to warm up instead of the flatter, but busier, main road.  For the rest of the morning we rode up and down hills, on small roads through oak forests and sparse fields.  This is marginal farming county where the fields are hilly and rocky; suitable for sheep and small herds of dairy cows and the farmhouses are mostly in need of attention.  But the views are pleasant and bucolic, and, apart from the occasional tractor, the traffic was negligible.  

The village of Assier had been an important place in the 16th Century when the chief artillery officer of King Francois I had his chateau and church here, but today at 1:30pm the town was deserted, the crumbling chateau was closed for the winter but, surprisingly, the church was open.  We admired the windows and the worn stone floor from 500 years of worshipers.  We had planned ahead and brought food for a picnic which we ate in the square during a brief interlude of sunshine.

The afternoon ride was similar, through pleasant rolling countryside, on a series of minor D roads that kept us off the highway, but now we noticed more places that appeared to be fixed up for holiday homes.  Once again, growing rain clouds threatened to soak us at the end of the day, but we made it into Gramat without getting wet.  

We are staying at the B&B recommended by Susan, le Heurtoir Rouge, where Marc greeted us and showed us to a delightfully old-fashioned room that reminded Ann of her grandfather's farmhouse.  Tired and hungry, but not wanting a complete French dinner, Marc suggested a pizza place where we enjoyed a delicious, light supper.  Tomorrow the plan is to go to Rocamadour, but if the rain forecast is accurate we may call for a rest day.

The old centre of Figeac
Heart 5 Comment 0
Quiet, tree-lined roads today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots of up and down to keep us warm on a cool day. High of 18C and cloudy.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Donkeys Look so tranquil.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis is the same fellow Susan stopped to fraternize with!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sheep seem relaxed too
Heart 4 Comment 0
This area is becoming popular with people to fix up older buildings for vacation and retirement homes.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Abandoned château from 16thC in Assier that once belonged to the general in charge of the horse artillery for Francois I.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,109 km (689 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0