Berga to Sant Llorenc - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2022

Berga to Sant Llorenc

An early start and, as the hotel doesn't serve breakfast at this time of year, we stopped at a grocery store for oranges and yoghurt to eat with our granola in a park.  We passed a couple coffee shops that were not quite perfect enough for our morning cappuccino, but then suddenly we turned into the industrial park and almost out of town.  Mercifully the CrossFit gym had a self serve coffee bar, so we got some caffeine for the climb ahead.  

Riding into Berga was all downhill, so getting out was all up and it was so steep for the first 5km.  Then we were on the BV4241 which has a reasonable grade and winds it's way up and down with lovely views all the way to Sant Llorenc de Morunys.  We arrived early in the afternoon more than ready for a big lunch at a trendy cafe, but the town was almost deserted.  We checked in to our hotel, then walked the narrow alleys, only to find all the restaurants closed, so we ended up back at the pizzeria beside the hotel.  Despite the rather inauspicious appearance, the pizza was delicious, and we didn't mind the glacial slow service because we didn't have anywhere to go.  
We are tired from four days of big climbs, the hotel room is spacious, airy and very reasonable and there is lots of great hiking nearby so we have decided to stay two nights and take a day off the bikes tomorrow. 

Finally, coffee at the last possible place before leaving town, a CrossFit gym, it was a self serve machine and the milk was sour. Why hadn't we stopped at a real cafe earlier?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenI am amazed. As a complete caffeine addict I never would have made it that far. Chapeau!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyMe too, now I am making sure we have at least one before leaving town. Especially where we are cycling, there are no towns for miles at a time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Up this steep side road out of Berga. We climbed 250metres in the first 5km.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rewarded by the view almost back to Berga where we started the day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A perfect place and day for a bike ride.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
I kept singing to myself the hymn "Surely the presence of the Lord is in this place..."
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Panta de la Llosa reservoir just befor Sant Llorenc
Heart 7 Comment 0
Coming down into Sant Llorenc
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sant Llorenc was very quiet on a Monday evening
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Hostal and Pizzaria, our home in Sant Llorenc
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraExcellent adventure so far. Been enjoying your journal. I am intrigued by your Spanish side of the Pyrenees route. Looks like great cycling.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 449 km (279 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0