Day 3 - The Toulourenc Valley and more - Provence Again 🇫🇷 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2019

Day 3 - The Toulourenc Valley and more

The map for today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was another beautiful ride in Provence.  Each day the rides are getting a little longer with more climbing in preparation for Mt Ventoux.  Today’s ride had 4 different climbs with the first being the longest and toughest lasting about 6km with an average grade of about 6% but it did have a few double digit sections.   The next 2 weren’t too bad but the last was tough because it was a consistent 7% for 3km and it was close to the end.  We all know that what goes up must come down so there were several lovely, long and fun descents to make up for the climbs.  For most of the day Mt Ventoux loomed on the horizon taunting you.  Coffee was in the small village of Savoillan.  All of bread and bake goods were made in a wood stove oven and they were delicious.  As for the rest of the day it was mostly wooded and pastural countryside, we even saw a deer cross the road.  Distance for today was 77km with 3800ft of climbing.  My max speed on the downhill was 60kph, Yahoo!

The ever present Mt Ventoux. This ridge is basically the 21kms you ride to get from Malaucène to the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Savoillan for the coffee stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Me on the top of another climb
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sisters Hilary and Gail too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The village of Brantes in the shadow of Mt Ventoux.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the coffee stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pointing to the ever present Mt Ventoux
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our little gang got stuck behind a farm vehicle at one point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost home with the castle of Vaison-la-Romaine on the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roman bridge over the Ouvèze River in Vaison-la-Romaine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge and the medieval town on the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 375 km (233 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0