Tunnels! - Heading South For a Promise of A Warmer Winter - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2019

Tunnels!

Wenowoc to Sparta

We were out the door by 7:10 this morning. Sleepy Stephen was not a happy camper.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped in Elroy so he could eat his breakfast. He just couldn't get it down so early when we first got up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path was smooth and nice riding but the bugs were after us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still, we couldn't resist this trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming up to the first tunnel
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was pitch black in there. Thank goodness we had lights.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bicycling is very popular in Wisconsin
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are many paths. We will be on a couple more tomorrow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming out of the second tunnel. This one was really wet along the sides of the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Really pretty
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Carol. We stopped in Sparta to grab some food at Ruby's and she had ridden her bike up on the LaCrosse Trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
She pointed out this fellow across the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to within 1400 feet of our warm shower and  my tube when flat. We pulled it out and patched it. Put it in and it went flat again. Pulled the tube out and there was another hole. We patched it and put it back. Filled it with air and it went flat. Pulled it out and filled it with air and the tube was fine but the valve was bad. I called Larry and said come help! We put in a new tube while he was heading down and that worked! I tossed my bags in his van and rode up to the house. 

Here's Larry with some yummy watermelon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Living room
Heart 1 Comment 0
kitchen
Heart 1 Comment 0
Judy and Larry, our warmshower hosts. Larry has run 100 marathons! Now he rides bikes. He's going to do RAW soon - 248 miles in a day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The family came over for dinner. Here are the girls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grandkids
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here are the guys.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 9,879 miles (15,899 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Marty OldfordHey Janet and company it's Marty,without my pup Joey, in Oshkosh with friends. Just missed you by 3 days in Fond du Lac. Thanks for the info about the Elroy to Sparta trail. On my bucket list. Good luck with those bikers in Sturgis😎😸
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Janet Anspach-RickeyTo Marty OldfordHi Marty!
Wow, you were close to us! We loved Wisconsin. The toughest thing about the trail is the deer flies. Ouch! They have such a painful bite and it keeps on ouching and itching and swelling the rest of the day. Be prepared. More of the trail is being worked on. You could probably get through most of it now. It was really fun.
We have rerouted south form Rapid City to Custer, Newcastle and Moorcraft - on up to Gilette so we will not ride through the nucleus of motorcycles. I'm hoping it will be fun to ride the outskirts! What an experience!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago