Riders on the Road - Heading South For a Promise of A Warmer Winter - CycleBlaze

December 11, 2018

Riders on the Road

Alpine to Marathon

So we were supposed to stay with warmshowers Marsha last night but she had nine other cyclists coming in. I was in contact with Betsy who is the other warmshowers host in Alpine and she said to come on over! What a sweetie pie. She met us at 3ish and was off again to work as it is finals week at the University where she works. She was back at 9pm but we were already asleep. We were all up at 6:30 and we had a short visit with her befor she was off again to set up computers for a final!

We packed up and headed out from Betsy's around 9am.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We started out in a northeast direction with a southwest wind and then the rest of the day we were going southeast. The wind was cold and the scenery was really beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hills on either side were made from limestone and lava.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We climbed a gradual 400 feet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cloudy day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then who do we come upon but the group who was staying at Marsha's last night! Suddenly Emma is off her bike giving Jill and Rick a hug! They were warmshowers guests at her house in Poulsbo in September!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Nancy MathisrudWhat fun Emma
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
They are joined with this small group to ride for Parkinson's which Rick has. He rides on the front of a tandem recumbent when he is able. It is set up so he can pedal if he feels up to it or he can just ride and enjoy the scenery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They had a flat so they were stopped repairing the tube.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great group of people! We saw them again in Marathon. They have a sag vehicle so they are riding all the way to Sanderson tonight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Soon after we continued on, we passed the Target exhibit!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We topped the hill and Emma took off! She was getting the job done today! It was cold.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was downhill the rest of the way into Marathon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Marathon! We ate at the Mexican Cafe down the street from the Gage Hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are here at the La Loma del Chivo hostel. Ingrid gave us a great space for a great price!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots to read!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very cozy!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 2,812 miles (4,525 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Nancy MathisrudLooks like a fun place
Reply to this comment
5 years ago