Down the hill and into the Desert - Heading South For a Promise of A Warmer Winter - CycleBlaze

November 14, 2018

Down the hill and into the Desert

Jacumba to Brawley

We had breakfast at the little local diner run by the Pastor and his wife. They have three children they are homeschooling right in the back part of the restaurant. The kids were hard at work. We had a wonderful southern breakfast. I forgot to take a picture!

First we climbed!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up we go!
Heart 0 Comment 0
500 feet more
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting to the top
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a different hill after the bridge that was out!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Brittany told us about the bridge that was out. We thought we would have to ride an extra nine miles today. Just as we were leaving Jacumba, Tina stopped us to tell us to go ahead on the regular route and bypass the bridge on the dirt road just off to the right. It was short and no problem.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is another dirt road we took shortly after we passed through the town of Seely and it was nicer than some of the paved roads we were on today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge bypass road was sandy and Emma's bike preferred she walk some of it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we dropped almost 4000 feet. Brawely is actually below sea level. We are staying at the Brawely Inn. Our room was given away so reception upgraded us to a suite but Emma has to use the sofa bed. We decided to just stay here one night and head out over the Imperial Dunes tomorrow. It's 68 miles with only the Glamis store to give us a rest!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Von's is next door and we stocked up on supplies for tomorrow. We will need all the light of day to make it to Palo Verde so we are planning to get up at dawn! Good night all. 

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 1,882 miles (3,029 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0