91 degrees, feels like 106! - Heading South For a Promise of A Warmer Winter - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2019

91 degrees, feels like 106!

Winona to Lake City

All night long we had storms outside with rolling thunder and lightning. It started around 8pm and continued all night until early morning. It was really cool. The water level came up to the curb outside on the street! Rob's brother Danny had to move his car out of the water!

We got up at 5am and Rob made us crepes before he headed off to swim! He is a busy guy! We headed out by 7am and it was nice and cool. First part of the ride was across Prairie Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were the only ones out here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great riding this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A dam along the Mississippi
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took Highway 61 which was empty due to a detour just north of Wabasha! They are resurfacing the road and tore the whole thing up to install pipes. The detour was up into the bluffs and it was gorgeous but we didn't dwaddle due to the fact that there were sporadic shoulders, shoulders with a rumble strip down the middle and last of all no shoulders. The traffic was very good. Only one pickup blew his horn -1 out of all who passed us in both directions isn't any big deal!

The corn is really serious here
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now you see me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now you don't. I've got the helmet up high and I'm on tippy toes and the corn swallows me up. It wasn't even a month ago when it was ankle high. Amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are in Lake City for two nights.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our view is of Pepin Lake
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived around 10:30 and spent an hour or so at the groery store gathering what we would need for our day of rest tomorrow so we don't have to go anywhere. Now it's is after 3 -the temperature is 91 degrees with a heat index of 106 degrees. We are inside with air conditioning. 

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 9,989 miles (16,076 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Nancy WrightWe took a poll of our riders once at the end of a trip and asked them what their favorite town was on the route. It was unanimous: Winona!! Did you see any of the stained glass in buildings? There is even stained glass in the women's bathroom in the courthouse!

Our corn is nowhere near as high as what you are seeing out there. We had a wet spring and farmers didn't plant until recently. You will see a LOT more corn on your route. And, soybeans!

Nancy
Reply to this comment
4 years ago