To Bassano del Grappa - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2023

To Bassano del Grappa

For us, this was the best day of the entire tour.  We’ve wanted to come back and ride the Brenta River between Bassano and Borgo ever since we rode it two years ago.  It was an astonishing ride then, but unlike many second attempts to relive a great experience it was even better the second time around, when we were biking downhill this time and had gravity working for us.

And of course we had friends to share the experience with and make it memorable and special in a different way.  

Unfortunately, something has come up and Rachael and I have other things on our mind that make it hard to focus too much on what transpired two days ago.  Rather than put this off any longer and get even further behind, we’re just going to post the photos and video for now.  Trust me though, it was an exceptional day; and if you’re ever in the region you really do need to take this ride yourself.

One last look from our sensational aerie.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaving Borgo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Borgo, crossing the Brenta. It seemed prudent to yield right of way.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooDon’t want to argue with them!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Cruisin’ along the Brenta.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Patrick O'HaraThis perspective makes Rocky look quite diminutive!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Patrick O'HaraShe is a petite, wiry little thing. Says I, who more resembles the man in the front, except in female version!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kelly IniguezIt helps when you have a photographer that catches you at the right spot! I wish I had the endurance and stamina you have!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne and the giant frog.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Bike Friday and the Brenta.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the Brenta.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Janos in paradise.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Club riders.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the Brenta.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the Brenta.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the Brenta.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the Brenta.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Suzanne’s been to the mountain and back, in case you didn’t know.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooGreat shirt Suzanne!!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

About halfway into the ride Janos and Suzanne took a snack break at a trailside bike bar but Rachael and I rode on to Bassano, not really hungry yet and uncertain about the darkening skies.  With a few exceptions we biked straight through, feeling like we were lucky to arrive dry after passing through a brief, light shower.  When we arrived in town we stopped for our own snack break at a small cafe at one end of Bassano’s famous Palladian bridge.

Wish you were here, Susan.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Susan CarpenterAs do I! And very happy for the four of you!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Looking up at the Covolo di Butistone, an ancient fortress built into a karst cave at the narrowest point in the gorge. Its earliest historical reference dating back to 1004 AD, it has passed through many hands, most recently used by the Austrians as an ammunition warehouse in the Great War.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bob KoreisLooks like something that could be a model for a Jim Henson scary muppet.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob KoreisOh, that’s funny. I read this comment in my email and assumed it was about the giant frog.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Covolo di Butistone.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not far downriver from Covolo is a small Austro-Hungarian cemetery from the Great War. There is a recently placed commemorative plaque here identifying it, but I can’t find any reference to the site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Austro-Hungarian military cemetery near Valstegna.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Austro-Hungarian military cemetery near Valstegna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Austro-Hungarian military cemetery near Valstegna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bassano’s bridge across the Brenta is startlingly quiet today. When we first crossed it the bridge was packed with celebrants out for the 73rd anniversary of its reconstruction after it was destroyed late in the 2nd world war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just upstream from the bridge is what I think is the Jonoch Palace.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking across at Bassano from our small outdoor riverside table, where we’re seated keeping an eye on our unlocked bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s a good thing our bikes were leaning against the wall on the bridge, or else Suzanne and Janos wouldn’t have known to stop and look around for us.
Heart 4 Comment 0
As long as they were stopped anyway, they decided to sit down and join us. Nothing wrong with taking two pit stops on a bike ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We ate at the same restaurant we enjoyed so much two years ago, and we’re seated by the same woman that served us then. I showed her the photo we took then and asked if we could take another, so we could show her unmasked face this time.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We (Rachael) remembered to ask her to take a photo of us also. She did well.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooLooks like a nice evening.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
She was sorry to tell us that they didn’t have the same wine in stock that she recommended last time (a Vespaiolo), but she suggested a different Vespaiolo instead. I thought it was fine too, but then what do I know?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cremona and Brescia aren’t the only towns with an impressive astronomical clock. Bassano has one too. I imagine there are others in the region as well. It could make a good quest to organize a bike tour around.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Walking back, it looks like we’re timing it just right - it feels like it could start raining at any minute.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As it did.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Video sound track: Envisioning, by Gerald Clayton

Yup.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 37 miles, 800’; for the tour: 1,802 miles, 73,000’

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 1,800 miles (2,897 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0