Tegernheim - From Prague to Paris - CycleBlaze

June 1, 1996

Tegernheim

This day started out wonderfully.  We had a great breakfast at the guesthouse, a stop in nearby Parkstetten to buy phone cards at the post office, and then a swift ride on peaceful roads to Worth.   Our plan was to reach Regensberg by about noon, spend the afternoon visiting the city, and then perhaps continue westward for a place to stay the night.  Our plans changed dramatically though when I discovered the absence of my billfold, along with credit cards and about 400 marks.

This fine portrait is what we stopped for just before discovering I'd lost my wallet. Well worth it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A less polluted view of Worth Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0

We backtracked a mile to a spot where we had stopped for photographs, thinking it might have fallen out of my shirt there - but after a fruitless search we decided that the only other possibility was back in Parkstetten, now 20k behind us.   So, back to the post office, carefully watching the  road as well as we went on the off chance that it had dropped out while we were biking.  Revoltingly, when we arrived at the post office we found that it was closed between 9AM and 4:15PM - so we scrapped the day's original plans, bought some lunch materials at the store and bakery, and then settled in for a three and a half hour wait on the church lawn for the postmistress to return - uncertain the whole time of course whether we would be rewarded for the wait or not.

It's a bit blurry, so I'm not sure what sort of gesture she's making here. It was a pretty long afternoon though, so several things are possible.
Heart 0 Comment 0

She showed up a bit early, at 4, and found and turned over my intact wallet.  Hurray!  Heaving huge sighs of relief, we pedaled as far as we could go in the little that remained of the day - another 40k, ending at a gasthouse in Tegernheim just 10k from Regensburg - relieved of course, but tired, a bit behind schedule, and annoyed to have made such poor use of a beautifully sunny day - 90k, but after backing out the 40k detour, we netted only 50.

She looks happy, so this must be after our good news.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 680 km (422 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0