Riebersdorf - From Prague to Paris - CycleBlaze

May 31, 1996

Riebersdorf

Another peaceful day of easy riding on the Donauradweg- or mostly on it.  We got lost for several short stretches, including in particular the area north and west of Passau.  While we were on route though, it was lovely, somewhat effortless cycling.  We paused for lunch at midday at Deggendorf, enjoying a roast turkey kabop - a tasty, rather gyro-like dish - and cookies.  We wandered around the town a bit, enjoying the striking architecture. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hmm - I've done it again, and waited too long before recording the day.  I can't recall too much else about the ride.  We continued easy cycling in great, hot weather.  We stopped for the day at a guest house about 5k from Straubing, thinking it would be a less expensive, peaceful place to spend the night, and then biked in to Straubing to look around and fill ourselves. 

Straubing has a large, elongated square at the heart of its old town, with attractive architecture, spires, and columns giving it color.  It took us quite a while to select a restaurant - we finally settled on an OK outdoor café on the square.  Our meals were fine, but the square itself is less than ideal for dining since it allows cars, motorcycls and buses into the area.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Afterward, for one of the best parts of the day, we cycled back along the river to our rooms, enjoying the cool early evenng air and the ambiance of fishermen, barges on the canal, and swifts chattering overhead.

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 590 km (366 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0