Meihern - From Prague to Paris - CycleBlaze

June 2, 1996

Meihern

This was a fairly short day because we devoted most of the morning (except for some wasted time trying to find our way out of Tegernheim from our gasthaus) exploring downtown Regensburg - a busy, dense city with a large old town packed with markets, museums and churches.  The few hours we spent here didn't begin to do justice to the town.

In Regensburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Regensburg Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Regensburg Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Regensburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Regensburg
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Regensburg  we stayed on the Danube until Kelheim, at which point we angled off to follow the Altmuhl - a much smaller, quieter river.  The character of the ride changed immediately once we left the Danube - rather than being in the middle of a broad flood plain we were in the bottom of a narrow valley.  The volume of bicycle traffic here, although still high, was less than along the Danube.  The remainder of the day was peaceful, relaxed, punctuated by the occasional small town.  Prunn Castle, perched precipitously at the top of a sheer cliff, was an especially dramatic sight on route.

The Altmuhl
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prune Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prunn Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent the evening at a pleasant gasthaus in the village of Maihern (a few miles before Dietfurt), beneath a rock wall to the south which we could see from our room.  After cleaning up, we ate outdoors at our inn and then took our books to a bench by the river to read until sunset.

I'm not positive, but I think this is Meihern, where we spent the night. I think the ruins atop the cliff are of Flugelsberg Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 750 km (466 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0