Dollnstein - From Prague to Paris - CycleBlaze

June 3, 1996

Dollnstein

A relaxed, easy day spent entirely on the Altmuhl.  We enjoyed a tailwind for much of the day, as we did for the tail end of yesterday.  A week later now  only a few things of the day stand out in my memory.  (Ed: it looks like I fell behind on the journal again.  Among other things, I forgot about the amazing wooden bridge at Essing - at 190 meters long, it's one of the longest wooden bridges in Europe.  I'd forgotten all about this until trying to place these photos). 

Rachael crossing the wooden bridge across the Altmuhl, Essing
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entry gate to Essing, on the wooden bridge across the Altmuhl
Heart 0 Comment 0
Randeck Castle, Essing
Heart 0 Comment 0

Above all, the city of Eichstatt was memorable.  It feels now like perhaps the most appealing spot we've seen on this trip as a place to live.  It is built into a tight S-curve of the Altmuhl, and its character is greatly affected by this (as was Cesky Crumlov, the other town we really loved).  It takes a surprisingly long time to go through this town, even though only a short distance is being covered as the crow flies.  There is a wonderful bike path for the entire route through town, right on the river.  In several places it crosses the river on narrow, attractive pedestrian bridges.  On the outskirts of town a great palace/castle, Willibaldsburg, crowns the length of the long ridge that holds down a bend in the river.  The old town center is filled with monumental baroque architecture, all in fine repair.  The city seems economically and culturally strong.  It looks like a great place to live.

In Eichstatt
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Eichstatt
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Eichstatt
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Eichstatt
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Eichstatt
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Willibaldsburg Castle, Eichstatt
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for the night in another very small, quiet community on the river and once more enjoyed a relaxing evening dining and sitting by the water.

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 830 km (515 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0