Getting There: Munich to Milan by train - Cycle Tour in the Po Valley - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2012

Getting There: Munich to Milan by train

The train ride from Munich to Milan went without a hitch. We changed trains in Verona where fortunately there were elevators to the platforms. They weren't easy to find since the train station is in the process of being renovated and is more construction site than anything else. But we searched until we found them. Stairs are unpleasant when you have a loaded bike to carry up and down, especially when the loaded bike is an e-bike, too heavy for me to carry even when not loaded.

We arrived in Milan in the late afternoon. Somewhat groggy from a day in the train, we pushed our bikes through Milan's pompous train station and out into the city's bustle.

Milan's train station, a bomastic structure completed under Mussolini, was modernized about five years ago with a good eye to harmonizing the new and original styles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving the station
Heart 0 Comment 0

I knew we wouldn't want to confront the traffic on our arrival and had reserved a hotel close to the station. It was so close we didn't even have to get on our bikes. I can definitely recommend the Hotel Monopole to bicycle travelers. We were delighted to see that we were given a garage space, big enough for a car, just for our bicycles - and we were given the key, no one else had access. Safe overnight parking in a big city lets us sleep better.

The hotel was quiet, the concierge was friendly - we were off to a good start.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0