An Outing: Certosa - Pavia round trip - Cycle Tour in the Po Valley - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2012

An Outing: Certosa - Pavia round trip

Not much cycling on this day. Since we visited the Certosa the previous day, we had a day free for Pavia. On the way, we had sun and dark clouds intermittently, but no rain, so it was fine weather to be out on our bikes.

On the smooth bicycle path
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bike path we had taken from Milan the day before continued on to Pavia, a mere 10 km. The path was paved and led us right into the center of town.

Pavia under a stormy sky
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a Saturday and we encountered several Italian cyclists in lycra out on their road bikes. Once in town, we saw that it was market day and the streets were crowded with stands and shoppers. Once we left the crowded thoroughfare, we were on lovely-to-look-at cobbled streets, but not so good for riding. We wove in and out on the little side streets and went down to the river, the Ticino, to admire the old bridge.

The bridge over the Ticino at Pavia
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ticino river bank
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rest of the day was uneventful. We rode back, Janos attempted his first geocaching on Italian soil - the caches were often near the locks on the canal - while I looked for things to take pictures of.

My bike in front of some graffiti along the path
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the locks
Heart 0 Comment 0

We tried out a different pizzeria in the evening, this one was even better than the day before. Usually by the time we had finished our meal, around 9:30 p.m., the restaurants just started to fill and get lively. Not being used to eating so late, we were usually the first to come and the first to go.

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 62 km (39 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0