Victoria to Lisbon - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2022

Victoria to Lisbon

The Pleasures of Travel

We are on our way!  Or have made it at least to the other side of security, the promised land, with absolutely no drama. All the drama happened before we left the house. 

First up this morning was Keith’s wallet, which he suddenly realized was missing. He went into search mode while I opened the Find My app and his AirTag started chirping. Only problem was, we couldn’t figure out where it was chirping from. We knew we were close, but no wallet. It turned up in his top dresser drawer. After we discovered it he remembered he had considered switching wallets and he must have left his wallet in the drawer.  Without the AirTag I seriously wonder if we would have found it. It would definitely have been a lot more stressful. 

Next up was the trap line. We do live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and the rats like it too. Keith had three active traps and carefully disarmed the first two, was a little more casual with the third.  It snapped and grazed his thumb.  A little bruised but a little too close for comfort.   He didn’t want the beautiful Mikaela, our house sitter, having to deal with any carnage while we are gone. 

Keith was reluctant to have this picture taken but I insisted.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat is the source for the routing info beneath Keith's thumbs? Looks helpful for our proposed trip in the spring.....Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Our  good friends Gerry and Jane, on short notice, kindly assisted getting us to the airport as the original plans fell through. They followed us out to the airport and delivered our car back to our house.   Thanks guys!  We had an easy time of it from there. The check in agent did not weigh the bike boxes. That was a blessing, the woman who checked the boxes at over sized security was phenomenal and we are enjoying our cappuccinos as we wait to board. AirTags are in the bike boxes so we will know if they are on the plane with us. The one in Keith’s wallet is still in his wallet. That is a must!

The drop off. Good friends are a treasure.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jane KyleIt was our pleasure!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We had a smooth flight across landscape we couldn’t identify.   So Keith fired up Guru which he uses for our navigation requirements.  Guru in the offline mode showed that we were flying over Montana providing our track, speed, elevation … impressive.

Easy to see where we were.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a smooth ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Upon arrival in Toronto we checked the airtags.  One tag indicates a  bike box in Toronto and the other still in Victoria.    Hopefully its a faulty tag.   Keith had joked he hoped his bike went missing so he could buy a new one.  We checked with Air Canada and their records indicate they both arrived … we shall see. Since we bought all the tags at the same time it seems unlikely it is a failing battery. 

Hmmmmm. We are hoping faulty AirTag but it seems unlikely.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I didn’t rename the AirTags before we left, so we aren’t sure which bike was left behind. Keith is hoping mine because his box has all the tools in it. That way he can assemble one bike while we wait for the other to arrive. 

We are relaxing in the Toronto airport while we wait for our flight to Lisbon. We have three nights booked there so we feel reasonably relaxed about the bikes. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Steve Miller/GrampiesDodie here-is there a special reason why you put this Blog in reverse order? By that I mean you seem to have the latest page at the top (beginning) and the older pages further down. We always put the pages in Book order, that is oldest page at the top and on down to the most recent entry at the end. Find it easier to read if one gets behind and needs to catch up on missed entries.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Joy DavisBon voyage! Looking forward to reading about your adventures… Joy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonGood to have the stress behind you and be on your way, isn't it. I was stressed enough just getting to the Munich Central Station for my train.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThank you so much with the info on how to change that!! Worked a charm. We are sitting in the Lisbon Airport waiting for bike boxes. Nothing so far. AirTags show one is here and one is in Victoria. We are madly hoping maybe the battery went on the AirTag. Unlikely, but we can hope.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Joy DavisThanks Joy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenAaarrgh! There is nothing so stressful as not having your stuff arrive with you. I am keeping my fingers crossed (and holding my thumbs, as they do in Germany) that this is a temporary glitch and all will soon be well. May the Force (and the bikes) be with you. Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI was wondering how Air Tags worked since I think we will be getting some before our next trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago