Lisbon - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2022

Lisbon

We Made It

Happiness is the picture below. There was some worry before the bikes showed up, as our data via electronic sim, which is working well now, was hopeless in the airport.  So while it was wonderful to have the AirTags we couldn’t access them in the bowels of the Lisbon Airport. We did see from the plane that at least one bike had arrived.  The other was showing still in Victoria, although it said last seen there at 11 something the day before, which was when our plane took off. The little wheel was valiantly scrolling away but not updating. I suspect our AirTags are due for a battery change.  We are very happy with how the AirTags worked though.  I am sold on the concept. Knowing for sure one bike was in Lisbon we waited, and waited and waited and waited! by oversized luggage. We had two luggage carts, Keith found two pieces of abandoned plywood nearby and we made makeshift seats on the carts where we lounged with our fingers crossed. I wish we had taken a picture. It was a real high when both boxes came rolling out together. 

The bikes arrived. Not until after a very long wait, but they arrived!
Heart 3 Comment 2
David MathersGreat news…I can stop holding my breath.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

All that waiting had an unfortunate side effect though. We had arranged for a driver to pick us up, and he was in arrivals, also waiting and waiting and waiting. He had another group to pick up and finally had to abandon us. We couldn’t leave the international baggage area to let him know what was going on, and we had no way of getting in touch with him. He had other people on a later flight he was picking up and we lost our driver.   We eventually had contact via email when we were in the arrivals area but it was too late. 

The end result was Keith standing with the bike boxes while I stood in the taxi lineup, the longest queue I can ever recall. Longer than the line ups at DisneyWorld. Like Disney though, one of the reasons the line was so long is that they keep you constantly moving. It is odd how all that shuffling makes you feel like you are getting somewhere, even if it is just around the next serpentine.  Once I finally got to the front of the line our cab driver was terrific and without any drama we were at the hotel. It was a relief to get out of the absolute chaos that was the Lisbon airport. People were taking videos of the crush of people, and there was still luggage absolutely everywhere. We handled it well though. This is certainly not the year to sweat the small stuff. I was amazed at how calm we both were throughout. 


Another way to pack a bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is an example of the stuff just laying around the baggage claim area.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The hotel is great and we are here for three nights. First order of business was a nap of course. I was really flagging.  Too many movies and not enough attempts at sleep on the plane.  After an hour and a half of sleep (Keith set an alarm) we headed down to put together the bikes. 

Bike assembly was in the lobby, and went quite smoothly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aided by a couple of adult beverages. I checked the time in Victoria and we were drinking beer at about 8:15 in the morning, body clock time.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetThat should help you adjust!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersI love having beer as a jet lag recovery drink 🍺
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After settling the bikes in for the night we went for a good walk and a bite to eat.  We want to stay awake long enough to reset our internal clocks, and it is now 9:33 PM and I am going to be lights out immediately after I post this. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jane KyleHooray! Glad you made it! Pleasant dreams...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt is reassuring to know that 1) your trackers sort of worked and 2)your stuff arrived. We went out today and purchased 3 trackers, one for each bicycle and one for our duffel bag. Steve is sitting now and figuring them out. He says it is your fault that we spent the money but I am glad to have the reassurance of the ability to find our stuff, money well spent. Have a good rest and now you can enjoy the rest of the trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonGood job staying awake until 9:30! I have the same issue with sleeping on the plane and end up watching a lot of movies but if I’m really tired it helps me adapt to the new time zone more quickly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago