Bike, Walk, Boat Ride - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2022

Bike, Walk, Boat Ride

Luz to Lagos to Luz

What a wonderful day. First was another outstanding breakfast of course, and after multiple cappuccinos we tore ourselves away and headed for Lagos. 

The CN routed us along EV 1 at the start and it was just fine other than the approximately 2 kilometres of cobbles to get to the start of the route. We will leave town another way tomorrow, he promises. We then had pavement, and a short section that was unpaved but just fine. Then boom, we popped out next to a golf course. What made things even funnier was right after that we came across goats and sheep, the shepherd (complete with crook) and two incredible border collies in an open field. It was quite the contrast in lifestyles in a few short minutes. 


The unpaved section of our route. It was a fine surface to ride on, and very short. Note the sky in this picture. Within an hour it was blue sky for the rest of the day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our shepherd and a friend with an affectionate goat.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Great horns on these goats.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Next up we rattled around Lagos locating a bike shop as my gears are misbehaving. It was a great idea, but we both had a good laugh when we got there. Shut up tight as a drum. We both forgot it is Sunday. Duh. 

We parked the bikes at the beach and went for a good walk, exploring some of the accessible grottos. Then we stopped for a break at a café overlooking the water. We grabbed the bikes and explored the busy and intriguing pedestrian area. The CN even bought himself a new belt. 

Keith wanted to see how warm the water was and I found it funny watching him try and get his shoes back on without sand covered feet. It is always a challenge. Note the Roman bridge in the background.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
The shopping areas were hopping!
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is an extensive and lovely pedestrian area.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Then the most touristy of things, and it was awesome. A persuasive sales woman convinced us to see the coast from the water. We did a boat tour of the waterfront. They call it the Golden Coast and when you get out there you see why. It was absolutely amazing. We were in a small boat and there were only five of us with an extremely skilled skipper. We took far too many pictures. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Kayakers on a tour. They had a support boat that towed them back.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat looks like a lot of fun! We haven’t done kayaking in a very long time but I love it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Roman bridges from the water.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Always look up is my motto.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Turquoise water, beautiful rock formation and a lovely beach.
Heart 6 Comment 0
There were lots of choices to get out on the water.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
That is our boat, and our skipper in the bright blue shirt. He was a very skilled mariner.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Back we cycled to much quieter Luz. Vila Luz has been a wonderful place to stay. We will be sorry to leave tomorrow but have more adventures waiting for us down the road. We are really enjoying slowing down and getting a real feel for a place. 

We had a dinner reservation and really enjoyed our evening out. Super Bock for the CN and several glasses of green wine for me. Delicious. We followed up with gelato. I wonder if I will be hungry for breakfast?

Portuguese seafood doesn’t disappoint.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Scott AndersonThat’s amazing. Work of art!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersBeautiful. I’ll get Anne to whip up one of those for our dinner tonight!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane KyleTrip down memory lane...had forgotten about the serious seafood skewers...Creative presentation😊
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonThat looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A 30 km cycling distance is an educated guess. We both forgot to turn Strava off when we were on the boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today’s Relive is mislabeled!

https://www.relive.cc/view/vYvE3B8nKw6

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 428 km (266 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rich FrasierI love your touring style! Your journal is inspiring me to plan a trip to Portugal next fall.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI love Lagos! We spent a few days there and did 2 hikes along the cliff but your photos make me want to see it from the water! We will be there the end of next year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenWe loved it too. It was actually nice staying in quiet Luz though. Funny thing, from the water I looked up at the hiking trail and wished we had time to do that too. Next time!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich - we are a bit envious of you two living where you do and the endless opportunities you have to explore this part of the world. Hopefully one day we will get to meet. We have yet to cycle in the Pyrenees so that just might be next on our list.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago