Lewistown to Denton: Tailwinds and Teddy Bears - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2018

Lewistown to Denton: Tailwinds and Teddy Bears

Montana is a pretty nice place to ride
Heart 6 Comment 0

The bed at our Lewistown Airbnb was one of the most comfortable so far. We slept through most of the late-night fireworks and hit the roadn at 6:20am, with tailwinds propelling us to the Denton Cutoff, a smooth gravel road that we travelled for 6ish miles. This was a beautiful shortcut - sans traffic!!

Heart 7 Comment 1
Dee Forteso peaceful looking!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Nice gravel
Heart 7 Comment 0
Tailwinds afforded us the opportunity to stop and take shadow pictures
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 1
The Denton Cutoff was low traffic and great scenery.
Heart 7 Comment 1
This is one of several missile silos we saw along the way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Judith River
Heart 8 Comment 1
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnAny Sharon river's yet? Getting more jealous by the day ;-}
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The Judith River
Heart 5 Comment 0

Once we were back on the route 81, we continued sailing the tailwinds the remainder of the 37 miles to Denton. Tailwinds have been such a rare experience that it almost felt like cheating. Nonetheless, we were still ready for 2nd breakfast when we arrived. We made a beeline for the Shade Tree Cafe and had a breakfast burrito/biscuits and gravy/fish & chips feast. I was tempted by the one remaining cinnamon roll, but opted for a second visit after dinner for pie and ice cream.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanFormerly the Backroads Cafe
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 4
Dee Fortethat looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteMalicious
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnWhat is that on the small plate? Mom and I can't tell if it's a torn up roll or what :-o
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnEggs
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

After breakfast we rode to the city park to check out the free camping option. It had a sturdy picnic shelter with concrete picnic tables. And it was next to a swimming pool with restrooms. Check! Everything we needed, including a concrete restroom structure in case of night time thunderstorms.

Next stop: the Denton Community Center Library - a cool and comfortable place to hang out with our electronic devices. We took advantage of the free WiFi to back up our photos and got caught up on emails and the journal. Gay used the computer near the entrance while Ron and I sat on the couch in the children's section next to some big fluffy teddy bears. The children's area also had a Sock Monkey in a Box!!

The teddy bear suggested some edits to the journal entry
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 5
Li LaIs sock monkey joining the bison and Dino for the adventure? Lovely
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Paula LentowichCan't remember the last time I saw one of those.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Paula LentowichMaybe you'll get one for Christmas!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnDoes Jennifer still have her sock Monkey that mom made for her?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnYes
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 0

The librarian gave us some helpful tips about the road ahead: spend some time in Fort Benton and be careful with the narrow road between Fort Benton and Great Falls. And then we went next door to the grocery store to pick up a couple things for dinner - rice, chicken, and spinach. I added some of Gay's pineapple to mine.

And dessert? Back to the Shade Tree Cafe for rhubarb custard pie a la mode (me), a chocolate shake (Ron), and maple nut ice cream (Gay). Perfect way to top off the fuel tank for the ride to Geraldine tomorrow.

Heart 5 Comment 0

Denton was very impressive for a town of about 250 people.

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 1,110 miles (1,786 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Judith CappausSounds like the journey & the weather has been getting a little better! Excited to find out I have a river!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnYes on accounts. But you have to share the river with the other Judith. Thanks for reading!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago