Zug - Shaking Off the Jet Lag - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2018

Zug - Shaking Off the Jet Lag

Zurich Airport to Zug

It was quite a day. Unexpectedly challenging in the morning in terms of navigation, and wet in the afternoon. We started with breakfast in the restaurant, choosing eggs, toast and coffee to fuel up for the ride. The Movenpick was a great spot to stay and this morning’s staff were as cheerful and helpful as any we had met before. Our bike boxes are safely stored and will be awaiting our return.

A nice touch in the shower, and the Movenpick has terry cloth robes for guests. I love hotels with robes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here I am with the lovely and helpful Olivia, looking pleased and ready to get this bike tour started.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started out and everything was straightforward, well signed and the navigating was easy. We only had one brief stop to raise my seat slightly and other than that the bikes were perfect.  At this point it seemed like the easiest exit from an airport ever. 

Lots of overhead traffic as we left the airport. The power in these planes is amazing.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Within the first two km of the ride we ran into our first problem. The dreaded detour. The Swiss really mean it when they have a detour. There was no sneaking around this one. 

They were having a huge festival of some kind on the other side of the bridge. Note our helpful bike sign telling us to go straight.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We asked advice from a fellow nearby and he sent us down our side of the river to the next bridge. We thought we were on our way, but we were wrong. 

The second bridge and it was a beauty.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We turned left off the bridge and were feeling quite pleased with ourselves until we came to this. Well darn!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had to turn around, go back almost to where we started to get around the festival area and then Keith used his trusty Galileo to get us back on track. There was much starting and stopping but eventually we were back  on track and following the river into Zurich. 

This part of the ride was lovely.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Before we knew it, we were in the city and we had to get through it. This meant a great deal of starting and stopping as the Chief Navigator (CN) frequently needed to double check our track. I just followed him and hoped for the best and tried to keep my suggestions to myself. Soon we were downtown where we had walked the day before. Then we once more were foiled. 

See our bike route on the road? See who is between us and the bike route? No way of wiggling by them. They tried hard to help though, and had a very good reason for being there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a huge overnight fire. This is right in the middle of Zurich. The building looked like an old historical one. Hopefully it will be restored. Such a shame.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Two major detours in one day seemed like a record for us and left Keith with a ton of decisions to make. We still had to get through the other half of Zurich. It is much easier for me. Every time he stops to check his phone I get to look around at my surroundings and I enjoy that. So my ride through the city was very pleasant and I saw all kinds of things I enjoy looking at...beautiful houses, buildings and public art. Poor Keith was very focused on his iPhone and that part of the day was much more stressful for him. 

We were eventually through Zurich and once in the more rural area the CN was finally able to relax. I was longing for a coffee and a bite to eat when we came across girls playing soccer and a bbq and coffee spot. Perfect 😀. 

It was a relief to finally be out of the city where there was less going on around you while trying to navigate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trailside companion.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunchtime entertainment. The red team won. We had bratwurst on a bun for lunch. Not exactly gourmet, but delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0

While we were eating lunch, the predicted rain started in earnest. I had switched to my Goretex in Zurich while Keith was studying his phone, but we wound up pulled over in a service station so he could gear up. At this point we had been primarily on bike trails, but they spat us out on to a bike lane on the highway. Between the rain and the passing cars we really were getting wet. The rain was never a downpour, but it was steady for the rest of the afternoon. There are no more pictures from the bikes because it wasn’t picture taking weather. We passed a car dealership while on the highway and I suggested to Keith we buy one. Almost immediately after that thought we were routed off the highway and back to bike trails and bucolic country roads all the way into Zug. 

Zug has a beautiful lake and looks like it would be just terrific in the sunshine. Everyone we have talked to here is thrilled with the rain though as it has been so hot and dry for so long. They really needed the rain...just like home. 

Our hotel, Swisshotel Zug, is very comfortable and the room is spacious. Their restaurant is closed tonight and they recommended a traditional Swiss restaurant called Brandenburg. We were seated at a table with Elena and Stefan. They both spoke excellent English, and they helped us with the German menu. I took one look at Elena’s dinner and decided I was having what she was having. No translation required for me.  Elena went to school in Kelowna for three months a few years ago to further expand her excellent English skills. That was a surprise. Stefan has been to British Columbia as well.  It was a wonderful evening and we feel we have two new friends. It was so great to meet you and thank you again Elena and Stefan. We are hoping you will let us return your hospitality in Canada. 

When we arrived the restaurant wasn’t very full. By the time we left it was packed. Elena and Stephan told us it was like that every night. I had an amazing salad and Keith had schnitzel. We were both very happy.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a twenty minute walk in the rain back to the hotel. As we came back into the lobby I noticed the huge golf umbrellas for guests. Sheesh!  How did I miss those as we left?  It has been a fantastic and full day. We are both nodding off and looking forward to more adventures tomorrow. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is our Relive:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1796159702

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 52 km (32 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Larry CadeTwo detours and rain! Good on you both for not letting that "dampen your spirits". Is English readily available in Zurich? What a lovely stroke of luck to meet up with Elana and Stephan who both had connections to BC.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Larry CadeSuch a lovely couple and thoroughly enjoyable evening.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago