Verona - Vineyards and Castles - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2018

Verona - Vineyards and Castles

Vicenza to Verona

We have had to face the music, we are a long way from Zurich and our flight on Sunday. We are staring down some serious time on trains. We decided the best course of action was to ride to Verona, which we love, and present ourselves at the train station tomorrow morning and figure it all out. 

That decision made we enjoyed our breakfast and made a short stop at Vodaphone on the way out of beautiful Vicenza. My data was to run out today, and since we are going to be back in Canada in six days, I should be able to manage without data, right?  I have been using my phone as a personal hotspot this year which has completely eliminated the frustration with slow wifi. Given that, we thought we would see what the cheapest option was for me to have data through to the end of the portion of the trip in the Euro zone.  We couldn’t believe it. 10 Euro for 18 GB. Yup, you read that right. That would be unheard of in Canada. Of course it also includes SMS and Euro zone calling.  

Our ride was a mixed bag of dedicated bike paths and quiet side roads. The CN did a brilliant job of getting us out of Vicenza. It was easy.  We simply followed the bike route out of town. 

Follow that bike symbol.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are castles on that hill. Keith is missing the camera. We made an inquiry in a camera shop in Vicenza. The man was so helpful, but not hopeful. The camera won’t focus. We really aren’t sure what happened.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views were great.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day just kept getting warmer. We hadn’t gone all that far when we were accosted in the nicest kind of a way to come and buy some fruit. We left with fresh persimmons and really enjoyed the whole exchange. Then we found two old tractors.  The day was just getting better.

There was a lot of sign language happening here. They were the nicest people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We aren’t sure what this one was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But we recognized this one.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The vineyards started in earnest and it is harvest time. The number of truckloads of grapes we saw today was staggering. We also talked to a farmer who loaded us up with grapes for the road. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
More sign language.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But it was worth it 😀.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We wove our way through several little villages, including Soave and it’s stunning castle. We ate our picnic lunch in Soave under the ramparts and then went gelato hunting. 

This was in a tiny village on the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interior.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing really.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Soave.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunch spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was the last few km into Verona. The navigating was a little more complicated but then the Adige was on our left and it was smooth sailing into town. We have had a wander and dinner and are still pondering tomorrow. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/1892111649

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,991 km (1,236 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonWe’ve been having frustration with our WiFi connection over the last few days. We didn’t quite understand what you did here to get faster service. Could you give more details? Maybe in an email?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago