Merano - Strudel Trees Everywhere - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2018

Merano - Strudel Trees Everywhere

Prato to Merano

Today was as down as yesterday was up. It really is true, the Via Claudia Augusta is a downhill track. Sometimes very gently, and sometimes a little more steeply. We had a head wind all day, but as we were losing elevation all day it wasn’t really an issue.  

Ours weren’t the only bikes in the bike room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unfortunately Keith had the camera on the wrong setting, but this is the only picture we have of the hotel. A fabulous property with amazing services. They even launder your bike clothing for you, no charge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first order of business today was to return the key to Glurns. In perfect weather we retraced our route. It is interesting how everything looks completely different in the other direction. We did the round trip quickly, and we were cycling back through Prato before we knew it. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely Julia, back at work. Camera still on the wrong setting. Darn.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesGlad your camera setting is at fault, at first I thought it was my post operative drug induced vision.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesJulia sounds so ... Italian!

But GNR? - Julia does not look like a heavy metal kind of kid.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Once we were back through Prato we were officially on the Via Claudia Augusta. The number of apple orchards is stunning and they were at their best...just about ready to be picked. At one point we went through a strudel tree tunnel.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then came the detour Italian style. No worries, no delays, and no cow pies. Cheerful instructions were to just squeeze your bike, your panniers and yourself between the heavy equipment and the fence. Nothing to it. 

That space next to the tractor looks wider than it felt when we went through it. I had to lean my bike sideways and Keith managed by pushing his from behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Down, down we went. The only frustration on the ride today was the sheer number of cyclists, of every variety. How can you complain about that?  We were either passing or being passed. Some groups were large enough that we didn’t want to stop and take a picture and be overtaken because it would take so long to pass them again, but everyone, including ourselves, was having a great time. 

Isn’t this marvellous? A little difficult to maneuver around, but with lots of cheery hellos and dings of the bell, not a real problem.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A pretty vignette in a pretty town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Castles and strudel trees. What more could we want?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tunnels of them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
People having fun on the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The drop down into Merano was stunning. A fantastic view of the city at the top, followed by a series of switchbacks and then excellent signage that took us right into the center of the old town. There was a little bit of wandering about while we found our hotel. The GPS chimed out ‘you have arrived’ when we definitely hadn’t, and we were concerned for a moment that the hotel didn’t look anything like the pictures. We found it a few blocks further down and it is a beautiful old property. 

Approaching the view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first look at Merano.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Walking back to the bike path.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Brett ClassenStill scared of gravel ;)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Down by the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have wandered around Merano and we really like it. We have had excellent pizza and we really liked that too. We have the next couple of nights booked and don’t have a long cycle tomorrow. The weather forecast is great and we are happy. 

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 517 km (321 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat a great place!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Helen StarkAre you in Italy now, or the Italian side of Switzerland? (Pardon my ignorance of place names. Today's sounds like Italy. Just a wonderful trip as usual.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michel FleuranceThe Strudel family name was found in the USA between 1880 and 1920. The most Strudel families were found in the USA in 1880. In 1880 there were 9 Strudel families living in New Jersey. This was about 47% of all the recorded Strudel's in the USA. New Jersey had the highest population of Strudel families in 1880.
They must be growing apple trees in their garden...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Michel FleuranceWe really got a kick out of the Strudel family name history. Keith and I have never met a Strudel but we are absolutely sure we would like them ๐Ÿ‘. Anyone with a name like that has to be wonderful and growing apples, or at the very least operating a bakery ๐Ÿ˜.

We have just polished off another wonderful breakfast (no strudel though) and are headed to Trento today.
Kathleen
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTwo years ago the Grampies' comment said it all. It's worth returning to this great place!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen ClassenOh how I long to! Werenโ€™t those apple trees something? What an amazing day that was.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago