Klausen/Chiusa - If You Have Never Biked This Route, Do It! - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2018

Klausen/Chiusa - If You Have Never Biked This Route, Do It!

Trento to Klausen/Chiusa

Let me just repeat that. If you have never biked this route, do it. It almost seems impossible that something like this route even exists. And if you go in the other direction it is mostly downhill. We are at a loss for superlatives to describe what an incredible resource this is for bike touring, for local people, for families, for everyone.  

This route has it all. Scenery, variety, interesting small towns, picnic tables, excellent signage, smooth surface, and services all along the way. It is positively amazing.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We started the day with a feast of a breakfast. The goal was to be on the road and rolling by nine. We didn’t quite make it. The cappuccinos slowed us down. We spent breakfast reading last year’s blog of this section and Keith made me laugh when he suggested there would be no need to blog today...I could simply refer everyone to Poking Around Europe 4.0. 

We did get going by 9:15 and that includes oiling the chains. I was peeling layers in the first few minutes. We were barely started when the CN kicked things up a notch. There were two roadies ahead and it was deemed necessary to pass them. There is something in male genes that causes this problem. I just follow and roll my eyes. 

The scenery was fantastic from the start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The CN loved this. He figures they moved the bike lane to the left because the clearance was a bit sketchy on the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We knew we had a few clicks to cover today and we both plugged in the tunes and spun. It felt so good. Perfect surface, no navigating necessary and beautiful views everywhere. We were loving it and before we knew it we were at the perfect spot for a break. 

We stopped here last year. A full service spot, including bike tools and a pump. A great setting and great service.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the road again 👍.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The CN didn’t take many pictures along here. I think he was serious about referring to last year’s blog. Mostly though, we just wanted to put some serious kilometres in, and we did. We were approaching Bolzano before 1 PM. We stopped there at picnic tables with a number of other cyclists. When you get close to a major centre you really have to pay attention. There are bikes of every description everywhere. We even saw, a first for us, a woman on an ebike with tubes in her nostrils and her oxygen tank strapped to the rear rack. I kid you not. Everybody bikes. We saw adult trikes that are awesome, a man with one leg (I contemplated the getting on and off for awhile), roadies, ebikes, everyone enjoying life. 

Coming into Bolzano the Policia (not to be confused with the Carabinieri) were practicing their driving skills on this track.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taken from our lunch time picnic table. The Messner Mountain Museum. So impressive and interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was odd in a way, I felt quite nostalgic leaving Bolzano. When we left a few weeks ago I don’t think I thought we would be coming back, but the truth is I didn’t think about it. We were headed for the Dolomiti and we were both so excited and looking forward. This time however, I wondered if we would ever be back. The world is a big place, there is so much to see, but we love this corner of it. It was just a funny feeling to be leaving a place we have enjoyed so much, with no plan to return. 

The vineyards began immediately which was great. My thoughts turned to future wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dolomiti in the distance. Such a highlight of the trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We would go back in a heartbeat.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then there was this. What is it? Power plant? Water?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetI would guess penstocks leading to turbines in a hydroelectric facility...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

After Bolzano the route becomes consistently but gently uphill. We were surprised by the speed we could maintain with our Dolomiti trained legs. The scenery just kept coming. One thing we find fascinating about this section is that in many spots we can see the train tracks, the autostrada and the secondary road from the bike route. The number of trucks on the autostrada is staggering. 

The castles are a good reason to remember to look up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You can see the bike path, the autostrada and the secondary route here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I love the tunnels along this section.  It was an old rail line and the tunnels are still there, just for cyclists.  They vary in length and are just so much fun to ride through.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is old, but not a tractor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How much fun is this? Just so amazing to be doing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here I am, passing the big boys on their ebikes. There are still lots of bike tourers on this route, supported and independent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Klausen/Chiusa sooner than we anticipated, so we stopped in the main square for a beer and an Aperol Spritz. Then we checked into our fantastic room in Walther von der Bogelweide Hotel. There’s a mouthful for you!  We still had time for a good explore of this great spot. Our lunch spot last year. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

There is a lot of history in this little town. We would love to spend another day here. Maybe we will in the future...we would do this route again. In the meantime there are Bressanone and Sterzing and some hills to look forward to tomorrow, and then Innsbruck. 

We have wined and dined, and it is time for bed. We are really finishing this tour on a high note. We are so lucky with the route and the weather.

Heart 1 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/1896178042

So, second last day of riding and I figure out how to do this 😜.
Heart 2 Comment 1

Today's ride: 96 km (60 miles)
Total: 2,193 km (1,362 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonYou’re right - this really is the best. This whole region is the best, really - one brilliant destination after another. We’re definitely coming back ourselves someday.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago