Zurich - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2019

Zurich

Bike assembly and logistics

The flight to Zurich was uneventful and smooth. We had exit row seats and Keith and I both really appreciated the extra space this provides. 

Keith thought it very thoughtful of Air Canada to provide a footrest. We also had the three seats in the exit row to ourselves as the plane wasn’t full and the man next to me moved to the opposite exit row. It was a good move for all parties. Our coughing wasn’t making us ideal seatmates.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Clearing customs was quick, well organized and pleasant. The customs officer asked me three times how we were travelling, by car or train?  I said by bicycle but it didn’t compute until the third time. It was quite lovely really. When he realized what I had said he looked almost comically surprised and then was very pleased for us and wished us a most wonderful trip. We were both a bit agog at the two colleagues standing behind him with very serious guns crossing their chests during this conversation but we didn’t consider a picture for a second. Keith was amused as they were seriously scanning the crowd and then moments later seriously scanning their cell phones. It probably wasn’t an email from their superior. 

Our bicycles were literally the first thing off the plane and mine arrived with the box upside down and completely open. We had a moment there, let me tell you. I had lots of essential gear in that box and the tools. For a minute I thought I only had one shoe, but in the end everything was in the box. Keith says it was a rookie mistake, because he forgot to tape the bottom of the box, but the box was so sturdy, with multiple enormous staples I just can’t comprehend how it happened, tape or no tape.  It would take remarkable forces to rip that box open. I suspect, but will never know, that it happened in Zurich because by rights all the loose bags and my shoes must have fallen out and they must have put them back in. 

Here is how it came off the plane. Open and upside down. We feel very fortunate everything was fine.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We sealed my box back up with copious amounts of tape and wheeled out of baggage collection just as the hotel shuttle pulled up. Absolutely perfect timing. We are staying in the Hotel Allegra Lodge and it is brand new and beautiful. It has a huge luggage storage room where the bike boxes will happily reside until we return. 

The lobby is very modern and rustic at the same time. I like the view of the old building behind the hotel through the windows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Towards the breakfast room and the restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once checked in we planned to immediately assemble the bikes but one look at the fluffy white duvets in the room and we succumbed. I was asleep in seconds. Keith set his alarm and he valiantly got up and headed down to start putting the bikes together. He generously suggested I sleep a little longer. Poor guy. He took one for the team. I slept deeply and when I made it to the bike assembly area all that was left for me to do was put on one water bottle cage. At least I can say I helped. 

Then we ventured out for a late lunch and the all important SIM card. It was 20 CHF for 10 GB of data. We are happy. Then we both agreed the best course of action was back to the hotel to work on health and wellness!  We briefly talked about hopping the commuter train to Zurich, but in the drizzle those fluffy white duvets seemed more appealing. It will be an early night. 

Tomorrow we will head to Aarau, which we have been mispronouncing for months. Now that we have spoken to the locals we are really confused...we can’t remember which pronunciation is correct. We aren’t sure how we are getting there. With both of us still coughing away and the weather looking a bit sketchy we have investigated the train.  The next day we were to visit our friends Gerhard and Yvonne in Rheinfelden but have just been in touch with them to let them know we hope to visit at the end of the trip. We don’t want to bring them Canadian germs. We were really looking forward to this, but it is a pleasure delayed, not denied.

We intend to ride tomorrow but our number one  goal at the moment is to get healthy. I worry that may soon be the number one goal of anyone seated in our vicinity on the plane. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Helen StarkHi Kathleen and Keith, So sorry you have coughs! I hope you both feel in top shape soon. At least you can take your time and with no real deadlines you can mosey along at a rate suited to your situation. Thinking of you and praying for you as you travel along. In spirit I am there with you!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Helen StarkWe think it was pretty silly to get chest colds before we left. You are absolutely right though, we have no agenda. We do plan to get to Aarau tomorrow and then if we are still under the weather we will just stay put for a few days. I am feeling on the mend, Keith not so much. Sitting under fluffy duvets and sipping tea in a beautiful hotel isn’t too hard to take though!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesReading this from the perspective of 2021, the coughs sound so frightening. One advantage of our current distancing, hand washing routines is that getting a common cold seems a quite remote possibility.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve - thanks for your note. You are so right. I don’t know of anyone who has a cold since covid took over. I would typically catch a cold at least a couple times a year sometimes more. The flue is virtually nonexistent as well. I had the flue a couple years ago resulting in an ambulance ride to the hospital so I take no chances and now get a regular annual flue shot. So keeping apart, wearing masks, hand washing etc. works. It will be nice to get this nonsense behind us so we can get out on the road again across the pond. For now its local riding which we are very fortunate to be able to do between the rain showers. Stay healthy guys !
Reply to this comment
3 years ago