Orange to Bedoin - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2019

Orange to Bedoin

Ever heard of the Mistral?

A great day.  A sunny day and a windy, windy day. Sometimes it was with us, which was fantastic. Sometimes it was against us, which was okay, and sometimes it was a crosswind, which I still don’t like but I am actually getting better at. On the job training is a wonderful thing. 

We started the day with one of the more substantial breakfasts we have had in France. We really liked the Hotel Lou Cigaloun. The room was fine, but the wonderful woman at the front desk made the hotel such a fantastic spot. She was smart, funny and had fluent English which is always a bonus. 

We went straight to the Arc d’Triomphe before we left town. We were so glad we made the effort. 

One side of the Arc d’Triomphe.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The defeated Gauls.
Heart 3 Comment 1
It was very impressive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More detail.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then into the teeth of the wind we went, on a beautiful ride. So many vineyards, so we were perfectly happy. Keith’s bike was working well. We headed for Châteauneuf-du-Pape. 

We have always been told that vines thrive in rocky soil but this is taking it over the top! Lots of French gravel in that vineyard.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We were going the wrong way up a one way street when this guy came the right way. He waved a thank you as we pulled over. It was that or go under.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Brett Classenbest tractor I've seen in a long time
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenIsn’t it great? Specific to vineyards.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

When we arrived at Châteauneuf-du-Pape we decided it was time for a break. We really hadn’t gone very far but the patio was so appealing. When we were in the bike shop in Orange yesterday we met a lovely couple from Zurich. Then in the evening while out for dinner we met them again with their friends. They are touring as well. Guess who was on the patio? It was a great visit. 

Coming into Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the sunshine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They are off to Avignon and we headed for Bédoin.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The amazing cycling and scenery continued and it was warm. The Chief Navigator turned us off the D road and we were astonished to see the most beautiful bike route you can imagine. It is on an old rail bed, something we realized when we had to leave it to continue to Bédoin as we went under it and recognized that we were going under an old railway underpass. The trail went to Carpentras. We were sad to leave it because rail trail grades are very appealing.  There was also some protection from the wind. 

We stopped for lunch on the rail trail where we had our only miscue of the day. We have a thermos we fill with tea every morning. It is an amazing thermos that keeps the tea incredibly hot. While we had our picnic Keith poured some tea, set the thermos down and it was so windy it blew over. On me. I was so busy ouch, ouch, ouching and leaping out of the way as the scalding tea landed on my legs I didn’t realize I was getting burned on the elbow sitting in the tea. Final score, legs are fine, elbow has a small blister and Keith caught the thermos in time to save some tea. 

Our picnic spot. Windiest picnic ever but oh so lovely and warm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The season begins.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then we rode through Caromb, which brought back some very fond memories and then along back roads and bike paths to Crillon-le-Brave. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Bédoin is as lovely as we remember it. We are in a great chambre de hôte and we are staying put for at least another day. We are loving the warmth in Provence. Now, if someone would just turn off the fan. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today’s Relive helps illustrate the wind:

https://www.relive.cc/view/2385372114

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 1,070 km (664 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonOoh, you’re in the perfect position! Are you going up?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenDone and dusted. Fabulous time. Out for dinner and then some work on the journal. A perfect day
Reply to this comment
4 years ago