Lac de Bourget Voie Vert - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2019

Lac de Bourget Voie Vert

Lakeside Riding with Added Thunder Free of Charge

This weather just won’t quit. Is it climate change or simply unpredictable mountain weather?  Who knows. Today we have had every kind of weather we can think of, except, thankfully, snow and hail. Although even that wouldn’t surprise me. Tomorrow and into next week is supposed to be better, so we are cheering for the meteorologists to be right. 

Aix les Bains is beautiful, and it was cloudy and dry when we finished breakfast so a perfect time to continue last night’s explorations.  Aix was born when the Romans discovered its thermal waters. It was a leading town of the Belle Époque and a vacation destination of the wealthy. It is easy to imagine looking at the buildings. We learned all this at tourist information this morning. Now it is a centre for water sports, hiking and biking but the beautiful old buildings remain. 

Looking up the street from our hotel on our walk last night.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I love the laundry on the balcony.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Why is it always women holding up the buildings?
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetSometimes it’s men, though not as often. I know the female figures are called caryatids and I think the male ones might be Atlases.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We stopped for a glass of wine and a beer shortly after this picture was taken.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Love the way they hard prune the trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had our drinks overlooking this ancient Roman arch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
City Hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the casino. Tourist Info said the building was a must see.
Heart 5 Comment 0
They were right.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Barry BartlettHi Kathleen
We really love your photos. As we enjoy your journal, we both comment that we would love to be there. One day, and thanks for the inspiration.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather was improving and we decided we could see more from the seat of a bicycle. This time I cleverly wore my water resistant pants and took my booties with me. Spoiler alert, I needed them. We headed down to the waterfront and just explored. 

One’s impression of the weather was highly dependent on the direction of travel. This was looking south towards Le Bourget du Lac.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was looking North, so we headed north until the lakeside path ended.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Headed back the other way, our intended route of travel tomorrow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are in the sunshine here, but up ahead looks a wee bit wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

About this time I announced I was hungry. We pulled into the very next spot and it was perfect. The server was great and had spent a lot of time in New York. He switched into English immediately. I asked him when he knew I didn’t speak French. He had me at bonjour. Darn. I thought I had nailed the accent on at least one word!  The restaurant was full of cuckoo clocks (Keith’s view) and I had the lake and the pleasure of watching the sun march south. 

Heart 0 Comment 1
Barry BartlettOh yes, “he had me at bonjour” -we can relate to that. Nonetheless we persevere in trying to speak in the local language and it is worth it for the smiles we receive, no matter how much we have mangled the language.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith’s salad with chicken.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I have never thought of warming my goat’s cheese and adding honey before putting it in a salad. It was divine. Keith isn’t fond of goat’s cheese and I love it, so this was pure pleasure for me.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesI'm with Keith. We raised goats for a few years and to me goat's cheese smells like Billy goats. Brebis (sheep), however, is fine!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat makes real sense. I have smelled goats and can understand the connection 😂.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Just as we left the giant cuckoo clock above the door chimed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Further south we went, an absolutely beautiful lakeside ride on a shared pedestrian and cycle path. We spun along and enjoyed, not particularly paying attention to what was going on behind us. 

Lovely, isn’t it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then we turned around. Once more, we were doomed.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We headed back, pedalling with purpose. At the precise moment it started to rain we were beside the Hotel Weekend with their waterfront café and covered veranda. We stopped to gear up and there was a clap of thunder. I was in the café and ordering coffee almost before I understood how I got there. Keith was right behind me. He had to lock the bikes. We were warm, dry and I found it indescribably hilarious to watch the people arrive. The place went from empty to full in a matter of minutes. It was a family run operation and it was all hands on deck. 

Our view from our window seat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Keith’s gigantic bowl of hot chocolate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flag straight out, furniture blowing over. It was quite the storm, but like most storms of this nature, short lived.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a very entertaining half hour or so it blew itself out and we made it back to Aix in a mere sprinkle. If only we could organize that kind of shelter every time a storm blows in!

We are heading out to dinner shortly. It is pouring again. The kind of rain that makes even west coasters like ourselves stand at the window and stare in awe of Mother Nature.  She is certainly in an interesting mood. 

More about dinner in tomorrow’s blog. A highlight of the trip, both the company and the restaurant. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 555 km (345 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0