Aix les Bains to Grenoble - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2019

Aix les Bains to Grenoble

We Took the Beautiful Low Road

We had an incredible ride today. Just beautiful. But first, dinner last night. 

Christian and Isabelle took us to the most stunning spot for dinner. It was absolutely amazing and somewhere we would never have known about on our own...and we certainly wouldn’t have ridden our bikes up there for dinner. It was so kind of them, and such a treat. 

The company was fabulous, the views were fabulous, the food was fabulous. I am smiling as I write this because it was just such a great evening. The pictures tell the story. 

This was such an amazing location, and the food and service were absolutely perfect. We started out on the roof top patio to enjoy the view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christian, myself and Isabelle. The loveliest people you could ever meet.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Keith with the two of us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking towards Chanez, which we biked through two years ago.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back towards Aix les Bains.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So much to look forward to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wine and wee treats to start. Isabelle and I went for the olives and the guys gravitated towards the charcuterie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isabelle’s first course.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was Christian’s.
Heart 3 Comment 0
My dessert.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are so sad this is out of focus but I had to include it anyway. Our delightful server who spent two years working in Australia.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The evening was an experience we will never forget. Christian was so kind to stop and help us in Aix les Bains, and then to meet Isabelle and spend an evening with them in such an amazing place...thank you to both of them seems inadequate. It was so special. 

Christian and Keith spent some time looking at possible routes for today during the evening. Christian regularly rides up to 200 km in a day (gulp) and highly recommended the valley route to Grenoble. Given the unpredictable weather and the forecast for wind and his solid assurance that it was beautiful, we decided to take the low road. 

What a day we have had. The wind was a presence all day, but usually in our favour. The route was stunning. Always paved, well signed and drop dead gorgeous. 

Back along the lake, watching people having fun in the wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started by weaving our way through the Chambery Grand Marathon. I amused myself by studying all the myriad of running styles. Fascinating really. It was an unexpected event for us, and just added to the pleasure of the day. I gave everyone I passed a cheery bravo. 

A beautiful day for a marathon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bike route was amazing...even when shared with a marathon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Chambery itself is a beautiful small city. When we reached the finish of the marathon it was a celebratory place. 

We loved this elephant fountain.
Heart 4 Comment 0
They made it. What an awesome feeling.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After Chambery the route continued at the same high quality. Views everywhere, head on a swivel and just joyous riding in the sunshine. The storms were swirling over the mountains and the wind was blowing in the valley, but it was mostly behind us so that was a bonus. 

Trail side companion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view from our picnic lunch. It was blowing a gale here and we sheltered behind a big tree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vineyards!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The poppies are just starting to pop.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wind in the grass.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The views never quit.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just a fantastic ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Glad we are in the valley in the sunshine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Old stuff and waterfall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
More poppies popping.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We just kept rolling along. As we approached Grenoble there were a few times when the wind was directly on the beam and I was hanging on for dear life. Crosswinds are not my friend!  

Sheer beauty. Pun intended.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This infrastructure for bicycles is amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Coming into Grenoble was straightforward, but busy. Dodging the marathoners this morning was child’s play compared with the roadies, small children on coaster bikes, elderly couples holding hands, young people holding hands, kids on scooters, joggers...the list goes on. Everyone, including ourselves, so happy to have sunshine. We loved it. 

We are settled comfortably in our hotel, once we found the toilet, which is not in the bathroom, but by the closets in the entry. For a minute we were worried we didn’t have one!  We have explored the pedestrian area of Grenoble, had dinner and I am getting sleepy. It was a fantastic day. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Click here for a video of the ride:

https://www.relive.cc/view/2362158468

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 643 km (399 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
David MathersCongrats on your ride over the Montée de Semnoz...that is a long steady climb with fantastic views as rewards! Glad the weather is getting a little warmer and drier for you. Your journey sounds amazing so far! We're off to Sardinia in the morning...stay tuned.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetAre you headed for Pont en Royans next? If so, consider the Hotel du Royans. It’s two years later and Al is still taking about their coffee.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenThanks David...good to hear from you. Yes that was a long steady climb! Safe travels! We are looking forward to following you guys around Sardinia and getting together in Victoria after our rides. Keith
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetWe are heading up that way in a few minutes We tried to get your hotel. There were no rooms left so are staying at a chamber d’hôte a few km down the road. Hopefully it will be good too. I am going to be looking for men holding up buildings as we leave Grenoble. My motto in these old cities is look up!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago