Erlach to Onnens - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2019

Erlach to Onnens

Lakeshore Ride and Up Into the Vineyards

What a wonderful day today was. It started at our wee B and B in Erlach where we discovered we weren’t the only guests. There was a couple from Holland and they were just so special to meet. Travelling certainly reinforces for us that there are so many wonderful people in this world. We exchanged stories and email addresses and headed out. We completely forgot to take a picture. 

The weather forecast was a little grim, and rain was to start in the afternoon so we pointed the bikes towards Neuchâtel and hoped for the best.  We planned a short, flattish day given the weather forecast and our improving, but not perfect health.  I started the day with my booties and rainpants on, ready for anything. I have decided this is key to a dry day, as not only was there no rain, we had brilliant sunshine all afternoon. 

Where’s Waldo. He is in there somewhere. Just a clue, not very big.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A lovely view along national route 5. At the end of the lake we switched to regional route 50.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bike route traffic jam. They certainly weren’t bothered by us.
Heart 6 Comment 0

There were so many beautiful things this morning.  Several of our favourites, flowers, boats, birds and Neuchâtel oh my!  What a spectacular place that is. The ride was flat and along Lake Neuchâtel at this point. 

This boat reminded us of our sailing days. We had to stop and admire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just beautiful.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Look at those skies. That is why I had my full on rain gear on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neuchâtel was just gorgeous. The architecture was over the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really enjoyed riding through here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bike path right through the city, right along the waterfront, well signed and safe. What a concept.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We found a waterfront bistro and stopped for cappuccinos and a muffin. It was a lovely spot and the muffin was delicious. Pretty much a cake actually, disguised as a muffin. Then we continued rolling along the flat.  We found it interesting that along the lake there were clouds of black insects that were impossible to avoid. Bigger than the clouds of teeny gnats we encountered in Italy in the fall, and we were trying to figure out what they were. At first we thought mosquitoes, but after much study we decided not. They were big enough that when we rode through them they pinged off our helmets in quite a rat-a-tat way. I actually pulled my buff right up over my mouth and nose so I didn’t inhale any. As soon as we moved even 100 meters away from the lake they were gone. 

We were always on a bike path, but for a short while it was not quite the beautiful bucolic sort we are used to. We were hemmed in by trains and the autobahn, but it was pretty awesome none the less.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then suddenly, boom, we were in the vineyards. Keith and I love riding in the vineyards. They look so different at this time of year, just starting to leaf out, rather than loaded with grapes, but beautiful none the less. We were delighted. 

Happy cyclist in her favourite environment.
Heart 7 Comment 0
They really do a hard prune of the vines.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Isn’t it just gorgeous?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis day's shots are outstanding!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenThank you. We really had a great day. We are wishful that you were still on the same continent so we could follow your blog too. We miss it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Vintner in his vineyard.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then, with the euphoria of riding through the vines, I almost didn’t realize instead of staying by the lake on a lovely flat bike path we were headed up. I hadn’t realized this was going to happen. The chief navigator was right on top of things though. At one point we stopped briefly to admire the lake from above and had the first amazing encounter with a kind motorist trying to help two cyclists who didn’t need any help. We almost felt guilty that we were fine, he wanted so badly to help us. It was at this point too that we decided hills are so totally worth it.  It was just so gorgeous. 

This is why we actually like hills. The views are worth it.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetQuote from Al (on a trip years ago on Camano Island): The scenic route is always hilly.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenHe is so right! We will get more scenery later in the trip. We loved you mentioning in your blog how dead French towns can be. We have gone through some (especially between noon and 2) and thought we were the only living creatures there. We ask each other if the zombie apocalypse happened and we missed it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The sun came out. It was just a beautiful  day from then on. We spun through vineyards, forest, small and beautiful villages. It was just so darn awesome it is hard to describe. At one point, in a forested area we came around a curve and there was a castle that was just jaw dropping. We saw a couple walking their dogs and had a heart warming frenglish conversation about the castle. Bike touring at its best. 

Sunshine. The meteorologists can be wrong.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a beautiful, beautiful ride.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThat contrast between the yellow and green is incredible.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonThe yellow is exactly the colour of Keith’s rainjacket.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
I have dumped the rain jacket here. The booties and rainpants came off at lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You can hardly believe it when you see these castles.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This was a big one. The couple we met told us the name, which I have managed to forget.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At this point I became focused upon finding the perfect lunch spot. Success came in a small village overlooking the lake, a marina and a construction site. 

On our way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lunch time. Note the information plaque.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are mountains beyond those hills. That plaque had a beautiful display showing us what each peak we couldn’t see was. It was great to look at though.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Happy bicycles. I was peeling off my booties and rainpants here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a second encounter with the nicest people when Keith stopped to wait for me at the top of a hill. We were once more having a chat and admiring the scenery when a car pulled over to make sure we were fine. People are really so kind. From there we had a beautiful ride to tiny Onnens. No bus tour has ever stopped here we are sure as we are in the only hotel in town. It is a beautiful spot and we went for a walk to admire it and then to the restaurant in the hotel where we had an amazing dinner. 

Just before Onnens. Pretty idyllic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scallops. It was divine. Absolutely divine.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow, another shortish day. We think it is the best idea until we are firing on all cylinders. We plan on stopping a few km west of Lausanne. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/2338553229

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 235 km (146 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonGreat to hear you’re both improving. I’ve been hoping Keith’s cold wouldn’t develop into something more serious.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenThanks Scott ... yes definitely in the mend! Not pushing it! Loved your volcano shots !
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenI was worried too. We both felt pretty good yesterday and think we have this thing beat. It is about time!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Anne MathersIt sounds and looks like this day could not have been any better. Makes me wish I was there, riding along with you.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWe would love to have beamed you in. We had another great but windy day today. Fortunately the wind was pushing us along 80% of the time. I felt like I was on an ebike at times. You must be getting excited for your trip.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago