Bédoin to Sault - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2019

Bédoin to Sault

Gorge de la Nesque

We enjoyed Les Maquinois in Bédoin. The location was terrific, a two minute walk to the centre of town, the host was lovely and the accommodation was very comfortable. 

Our front door. We ate our breakfast, delicious and delivered by our host, outside on the patio table both mornings. We had several choices of where to sit...we could seek sun or shade. Our ‘bedroom’ window is to the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interior. Living area with loft. There was a garage for the bikes and we were very comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mickey reading in a wee window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The boys renting bikes and getting ready to go up.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We headed for Gorge de la Nesque. We had beautiful cherry orchard and vineyard riding as we rode towards Milles-sur-Auzon. We stopped there and the CN and Chief Pastry Chooser picked up a couple of delicious apple tarts. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ventoux in the distance.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Then it was up the Gorge. It is one of the most beautiful rides you can imagine, at a grade that is just perfect. We loved every moment of it. We have done it once before and were so happy to be doing it again. We stopped about a quarter of the away up and ate the apple pastries, so today’s ride was fuelled by pastry.  

The first tunnel.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I am in there, but well camouflaged.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road from higher up on the other side of a hairpin turn.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
E bikers on their way up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before we knew it we were at the top, along with assorted other bikers, a few caravans and motorcycles and two wild pigs. 

A group of e bikers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stayed well clear.
Heart 3 Comment 0
His (her?) buddy with my bike. Evidently there were piglets too but we didn’t see them.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then a bit of a swoop down towards Sault before the short climb into town. Just a great spot. We are staying in the Hotel Albion as recommended by the Andersons and have had a great afternoon exploring the town and drinking beer on a patio overlooking the valley and the lavender. Keith asked me what they do with all that lavender. I know the obvious things...soaps, fragrance, but it is such a lot of lavender!  We love it. 

Coming into Sault.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love the colours.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ventoux is just barely peeking over the horizon back there. Quite obvious from the patio, but you will have to zoom in in the picture. Far left.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our patio looking out at those views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hotel Albion.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonHey, an old friend!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Very bike friendly.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We had dinner in a Vietnamese restaurant next door to the hotel. It was fantastic. Seemed odd to be doing in France but we love Vietnamese food and this was authentic and delicious. 

I managed, despite judicious amounts of sunscreen, to sunburn my arms today. Long sleeves tomorrow. Darn. Such a dumb thing to do. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I like this Relive because you really get a sense of the gorge we were riding beside. 

https://www.relive.cc/view/2390706799

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,160 km (720 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetLavender is also used for flavouring. My favourite was the lemon lavender radler I had in Whitehorse last summer. In France, you can get lavender ice cream.

For arms, I use sun sleeves almost all the time when touring. I burn so easily and sunscreen, even SPF 60, doesn't quite do it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenHi Jacquie - We usually sunscreen twice a day particularly on the recent hot sunny days. I have been wearing a long sleeve shirt so saving on sun screen application to the arms.

I will have to try some lavender ice cream. I am kind of stuck on amareno?? flavor. But really ... today I paid 3 euros for a “small” single scoop. In Italy a single scoop is often only 1 Euro. I am heading for Italy!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetKathleen here. I need to get some sun sleeves. True confession, this was a blistering burn. Like you I am very fair but this hasn’t happened in years. I am very puzzled by it but being very, very careful now. Our 30 degree weather is going to change for a few days and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago