Day 51 and 52 - Ravensburg to Campingplatz Schloss Kirchberg on the Bodensee! - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2018 to August 11, 2018

Day 51 and 52 - Ravensburg to Campingplatz Schloss Kirchberg on the Bodensee!

Achim and his hospitality really saves us

By the time we had finished dinner with Achim, we were starting to feel desperate about all the things that needed to be done to get our financing in place for the two houses that we will own shortly after our return to Victoria.  Suffice it to say that we had a whole list of things that our mortgage broker needed and we needed to sit tight and work on it until we had tracked it down and made arrangements.  Achim graciously and generously offered his home to us for an extra day or two if we needed it and so it was that we stayed an extra day at his place.  We didn't even leave the house, we just worked on corresponding with everyone and all the agencies  that we needed to and working on catch up on the blog.  So Friday night we slept once again in the comfortable roll out sofa that Achim had provided and he was off on his climbing trip.

Saturday morning we got away somewhat earlier than our usual because we wanted to arrive nice and early at a campground on Bodensee and get a decent spot.

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was easy getting to Friedrichshafen and after that we just ranged up the lakeshore to the east.

The Mehlsack gate. Mehlsack means flour sack and were historically white - named for the color of the tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another of the towers in Ravenburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were pleased to discover the farmers market was happening. It is times like this we wish we could cycle with a fridge in tow!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up the hill from the market to a gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marvin loved how everything was displayed. He was especially impressed with the tower of radishes.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThat corn is also nicely presented, but at 1 euro each (ok, 2 for 1.60) it's awfully expensive for this time of year!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
It is hard to limit yourself to the few things that fit into our "kitchen" bag; especially knowing we will need to pick up more later in the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The plants and flowers are so reasonably priced that I tell myself that if we lived here I would have fresh flowers in my home all the time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building had a large archway that connected two streets of market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The down hill tower from the market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I loved the beautiful baskets!!! I would love some baskets like this in my home for throws.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is not unusual to see locals using these lovely wicker baskets for their shopping in the market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of being in Germany is having a wurst and brotchen from a street vendor. Of course, having some good German senf (mustard) is part of the experience.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ravensburg is known for the Ravensburg toy company. Throughout the old city are a variety of "toys". This was one of those things where you have to get the ball into the center of the toy by changing the angles of it.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAlso of note - that nice Cube bike with Bosch drive!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin Paxmanyes, bosch is very common here. we even find we are parked right next to victoria bikes with bosch every once in a while
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin made a good try but did not quite get the ball in the center.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the large toy pieces on display in the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not one to give up, Marvin kept at it for a while.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The post is delivered using modified ebikes. It is quite the load she is carting around and, as you can see, she has two batteries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having filled our little cooler bag, we were off to find the Bodensee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good paths today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hops! For all the agriculture we have seen, these are the first fields of hops we have seen. Important if you like German beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This farm grew hops and fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another of those wonderful farm houses and barns that we like.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A zeppelin! Friedrickshafen has a zeppelin museum. We saw several during the course of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have noticed that most cities have sister cities. These are the sister cities of Friedrickshafen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bodensee!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is evident that a lot of sailing happens on the Bodensee. It is hard to see in the picture, but there were dozens of sails on the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Marvin adding:  To me the Bodensee is one of those places you dream of going to and so it seems kind of magical  or maybe surreal when at last you are there 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Fountain on the water front.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This couple were part of a wedding party. They were sawing a log in half. Anyone know the significance?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAccording to multiculturallywed.com: "Are you or your partner of German heritage and planning to take part in Baumstamm Sägen, the German wedding tradition sawing a log at your wedding ceremony? The log represents the first obstacle the newlyweds must overcome, in a lifetime of inevitable future obstacles. With a two-handle long saw, they work as a team (cheered on by their guests) until that log is successfully cut in two. I love it! You can’t get much more literal about what it means to be partners than that."
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin PaxmanInteresting! thanks for that
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail out of Friedrickshafen. Hotels are very expensive here so we headed west to find camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bodensee on one side of the trail, vineyards on the other.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once we had found somewhere to camp we headed west on the lake to do some exploring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He may enjoy cycling but he loves the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swans with their big, gangly cygnets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cygnets are quite large but have not flight feathers yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wish the photo could capture how bright blue the water was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I am struggling with knowing we have to head home in a week.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Hagnau from the dock. Beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The awkward, gangly stage of a cygnet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tower pokes out from the vineyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Meersburg on Bodensee. Very touristic but lovely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down one of the Meersburg streets to the Bodensee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making memories!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gotta love him!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Okay, please don't ask us if we lost any weight on this cycling trip; you have seen what we like to eat!
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many sails!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
So, for some reason Marvin thought we needed a picture of this???? Perhaps, he will tell us why!
Heart 0 Comment 0

I just forgot to remove this picture.  It was taken for a comparison shot when we leave and then front desk at the campsite will know if we used enough electricity to charge us for it.

Tent set up, nice cozy place to rest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our camping spot. The people next to us have headed home for the week but leave their tent here for their return next weekend. They noticed that we do not have chairs so kindly lent us a couple of theirs to use. We will put them in their tent when we head off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our very nice neighbors let us know that last evening was a special evening on the lake. Each year the city of Konstanz, right across the lake from here, has a huge fireworks display. The Germany city starts the show and the Swiss army joins in later. The entire firework display goes on for a half an hour. If would have known about it sooner we may have tried getting the ferry over to Konstanz and looked for a place to camp there. However, instead, we trundled down to the local beach just before 10 pm, found a bench and waited. At 1030pm the show began. The lake is quite wide so the fireworks were in the distance and we couldn't even hear them very well, but it was fun to watch and remember for the future. It is said to be the largest fireworks show in Europe. So glad we meet kind people who share their local knowledge with us. 

Sunday has been a quiet day of relaxing, reading and blogging. Tomorrow we will head east and explore the area for one or two more days before heading to Bregenz. 

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 2,071 km (1,286 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0