Day 44 - Tuttlingen to Hausen im Tal - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2018

Day 44 - Tuttlingen to Hausen im Tal

The Donau continues to surprise us !

Well, it turns out that little hill climb we did yesterday to the castle was a good warm up for what was on the agenda today:  We found ourselves in the mountains and put in our biggest up (and down) day ever.  We climbed 757 meters today and reached 27.7% incline at one point.  I had no idea it was going to be this mountainous on the donau, it was absolutely beautiful.  Wait till you see the pictures!

The temperature this day was HOT. Up to 39 while moving. Never less than 35 for most of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well there are some disadvantages to camping in a free campground.  For one thing we really didn't have any access to electricity or a place to work on the blog.  The bathrooms were pretty dirty etc.  and we had some yahoos that came in around midnight and carried on talking loudly until about 2:30 AM.  One of them kept singing "La la la, la la la, Figaro, Figaro" over and over again.  They sounded like nice happy guys but were obviously a little drunk.  No one seemed to want to mess with them so we just waited for them to finally crash.  In the morning, a French woman and I made kicking motions at their tent which was between our tents and laughed about it.  We don't think they came by bike, so when the city official came around in the morning he was handing out tickets to any cars in the parking area.  Hopefully they got a good one :)

Erika located a laundromat and she took the laundry to get it started while I packed up everything else.  There was also a farmers market going on so we were pretty willing to take our time getting out of town.   While at the laundromat, I plugged the batteries in to get them topped up a bit and we had some breakfast from the market.

A picture of the pool area outside where we were yesterday afternoon. This area of the pool was, obviously, outside. It had several stations where water under pressure would target different areas of your body to give you a wonderful massage. For a couple of older cyclists, it was a dream!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just some art in the park. It was so hot out that I could imagine a gentle man taking of his hat and coat and relaxing on the grass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shows just a very small portion of the grassy area of the park. In the morning it was quite empty but last evening it was full of people visiting, relaxing and enjoying the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little statue of pigs really appealed to me. I love how there are on the roof of the house that is partly underwater. They are stacked inversely to limit who get wet feet!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The day's track starts out pretty flat like we were expecting. The vistas in a valley are so lovely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And on we go!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another lovely town on the horizon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy to move on with a pannier full of clean clothing. The only thing in need of more drying was my bright pink towel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our appreciating for window boxes and the care they receive here has not decreased.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old stone buildings. Amazing to think that these were constructed using basic tools and no machinery. I wonder how many of our wood frame homes in Canada will still be standing in 500 years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, look at the steep hills we are running along beside. Soon we will get to climb some of them. Hurrah for e-assist!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow, it is getting steep on both sides now
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another pretty town. The paintings on the sides of buildings become more common as we approach Austria and the alpine areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Although it was getting pretty hot by this time. The trail wanted us to by pass this town but Erika wanted to see what was there. We discovered a lovely town center full of half timbered buildings and locals enjoying lunch. We decided it looked like a good idea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the street was the town's church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every side street was lined with old half-timber buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh we just gotta love this! It was part of the paintings on the gasthaus we stopped at for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salad in a bowl. Prior to the salad they had brought us a lovely soup served in a large cup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
followed by a great schnitzel. This time of year the mushrooms known as pfipherling (unsure how to spell and do not know the English translation) become part of local cuisine. We love them and seek out local dishes that use them. Marvin loves his schnitzel so this was idea for him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little restaurant was off of the track a bit, but we had a great meal and inside it was very cute. We were filling our water bottles when I went inside for this picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
I found the joinery on this wall very interesting
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here is a picture of the one down the street
Heart 0 Comment 0
This town, where we had our lunch was really making an effort to spruce things up. But look at how old an leaning some of the buildings are
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now we really began to find ourselves in the mountains and here was a grotto-like religious memorial thing
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Groto of Maria Lordes. It is obviously well maintained and candles are provided for pilgrims/worshippers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We would go up into the hills and then emerge to see lovely pasture land like this. This is the view from the Groto.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another small town in the hills
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at this wood storage solution. I think I will have greater expectations of how we store our wood in the future.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yowza, look at those cliffs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of gravel roads, lots of climbing and then coasting down. Fortunately, the gravel was well packed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are really getting into gorge like areas with cliffs all over the place
Heart 0 Comment 0
We just climbed out of that valley. The climbing, though a bit of work, really provides us with some beautiful views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was so beautiful, I don't think we realized how hard we were working
Heart 1 Comment 0
But here is a zoom in of the area we are headed for and a reminder that there is always another castle!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bench of the Day! occurs when a structure for holding water shows up. You may have noticed that in this head the bench of the day must be in the shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It made me happy
Heart 0 Comment 0
I got good and wet
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are coming up on a cloister or something like that
Heart 0 Comment 0
The steep pitch of the roofs gives hints as to the snow fall in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several cloisters we would pass on the Donau route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We end up going right through it
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just below the cloister was this statue of a pilgrim. I can only imagine the faith it took to hike through these mountains hundreds of years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we cycled away from the cloister we passed a home with this statue build into the walls. Hunting is honored here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the bridges for cyclists needing to cross the Donau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at the cliff coming right out of the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little chapel would have provided access to a place of worship during winter isolation. It was more elaborate than many that was saw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The frescoes were more elaborate and obviously well maintained.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the ceiling was painted in quite a bit of detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is so hot that I can hardly stand wearing the big brim and yet I can use the shade it provides too
Heart 0 Comment 0
These cliffs all seem to have castles on top of them that have been updated
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are going to need to get this translated when we get home
Heart 0 Comment 0
We constantly see lots of other cyclists on the trails
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look how rugged this area is. I never expected so much of this today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had stopped at a couple of places along the way looking for accommodation.  First, at a hunting lodge turned into a camping area for youth groups.  They offered to let us put our tent with the group area but we thought maybe we would press on.  We checked out another town but didn't find anything that wasn't over a hundred euros.  So we went on to Hausen im Tal which we knew had a campground and quite a few other accommodations.  We had a look at the campground and they had space for us but it was going to be in broad sunlight and the day was so hot that we thought surely we could find a zimmer of some kind, even if we had to pay 80 euros.  We were pretty bagged, even though at the time we didn't realize how much up and down we had done and how hot it had really been.  (That just shows how beautiful it was and how much we are loving this area)  

We went up the hill into the neighborhoods where there were signs indicating a zimmer or two.  We went all the way up a street and couldn't find it, then on the way back down I spotted the little sign, and it indicated it was a 3 star B&B.  We though "Oh this will be too expensive"  Erika went in and discovered they were asking 60 euros for a full suite, so cool it felt air conditioned, breakfast included.  We figured we had died and gone to heaven.

with our wonderful hosts, Heike and Christoph
Heart 0 Comment 0
They really were wonderful, did everything they could to make our stay perfect. They were friendly and interested and interesting. Their son, who was away, spent quite a bit of time in Canada and we hope he (and they) will come visit us in the future.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,736 km (1,078 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0