Day 38 - Friesenheim to Freiburg im Breisgau (captions added) - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2018

Day 38 - Friesenheim to Freiburg im Breisgau (captions added)

The route we travelled this day:

Heart 0 Comment 0

The track for the day tells me that we got a fairly early start at 9AM (early for us at least) and a pleasant 19 degrees.  Up to 31 during the day and finishing off in Freiburg at about 26.  We went up 409 meters and down 374.  Our biggest climbing day since that last day we saw the very southern end of the Netherlands and climbed 650 m while going down 496.

Good bye to our very pleasant hotel. The breakfast was average but overall we enjoyed the place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the road again and heading into the rolling fields leading up to Freiburg. Getting more excited to enter the Black Forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lahr is a good size city. We were in it for a while before we realized it was Lahr. That is because many outlying villages are considered part of the bigger city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The next few photos are of buildings that stood out to us for various reasons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was one of the first buildings we saw with the painting on its side. This is something I remember seeing a lot of in southern Germany and Austria when I was a child.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of our favorite stops are at road side fruit stands. This one was great. We loaded up and then sat down and ate the raspberries we purchased.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our purchases. We have to remind ourselves to only buy what we know we will eat today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This nursery had an area of flowers where you could cut your own.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely statue of an elk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This carving was in front of the music school in Lahr.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The breaks on our bikes seem to respond to signs that say Eis Cafe!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don't let the clouds fool you, it was hot!!! and muggy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We also were up against a strong head wind as Marvin's shirt demonstrates.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Marvin PaxmanTo Steve Miller/GrampiesCanada Man!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ah, the joy of shade and wind break from trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old fruit press. Also, a nice shaded area for a break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a good time to enjoy more of our fresh fruit!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were surprised to see raspberries canes still producing so much fruit. Between the rows was grass to decrease dust collecting on the berries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More painted embellishment on a house. This one shared their commitment to God.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This picture comes with a question. This, and several other corn fields we passed. had the tops of the corn cut off with the stalk where the corn cobs grew left intact. Does anyone know why this is done. It is not something either of us has seen before.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful rural areas with great bike trails. Life is good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes it is hard to know how many pictures are too many.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And at what point do you hit church picture saturation?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Never too many pictures of the wonderful German pastries. This Conditerei was just a few blocks from the couple we would be staying with. We got into Freiburg much earlier than we expected. The conditerei was packed with locals. We have learned that is a thing to watch for if you want the best food. And... the torte was AMAZING!!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marvin is often drawn to fruit filled pastries.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Erika loves the variety of cakes made using nuts in Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here they are... our wonderful Warm Showers hosts, Alisa and Martin. They hail from Argentina. Alisa is a masters student at the University of Freiburg. It was so much fun hearing their stories and hearing them talk about their love of Freiburg. They treated us very well and we hope that some time in the future we can return the favor.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,559 km (968 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0