Day 37 - Strasbourg to Friesenheim (captions added) - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2018

Day 37 - Strasbourg to Friesenheim (captions added)

Back to Germany

We found a nice place in Friesenheim that was about halfway to Freiberg so booked it and set out.  Wasn't quite as hot, temp only got up to 36 while moving toward the end of the trip but as we  crossed the bridge taking us back into Germany, the temperature registered at 40 C. Hot!!!

Heart 0 Comment 0
This is typical of most of the trails today. We were sure glad. Dealing with the heat was enough; we didn't need rough trails too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many private homes in the Alsace have figures and fountains in the gardens. I particularly liked this one with the little boy and girl sharing an umbrella. The bench with three children on in the back was also very nice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water and a swan... picture worthy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good shot of a Da Brim. They create a lot of interest where ever we go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical half timber house of the Alsace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kitchen witch is hanging in the top window of the previous house. She is flying over a cooking topf. They are thought to bring good luck and ward off evil spirits that could result in poor cooking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Half timbered home typical of this part of the Alsace. This home had a very large court yard. We love all the greenery added to embellish the homes beauty. We were definitely here at the right time to see the flower boxes at their best.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had never seen shutters like this before. They could open the usual way but also had a section that could be open as in the picture. This provided protection from the sun while allowing air flow. Very clever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After cycling through a fairy exposed area, we went under a bridge, turned a corner and were delighted by what we saw. The route out of the Alsace really was lovely and mainly through woods with shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When it is really hot, cycling in the trees is a treat of cooler air. We love it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The very hot route over the bridge into Germany. 40 C yuck!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good bye, Alsace, we hope to be back to explore you a bit more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hello, Germany, time to get to know you even better.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the signs we are always watching for.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhein is quite wide at this point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was the only time we were not on paved trails and the shade made up for the few bumps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All along the trails you find hunters huts. They all seem well maintained.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hard to see but Erika is holding mistletoe over her head. We found a on the ground and decided it was a good excuse to have a smooch!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Our ball of mistletoe. Works even when it is not Christmas!
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we lived in the Yukon this fungus was referred to as bear-bread. Artists would do scrimshaw on the smooth side. I have never seen it used anywhere else for art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the side of a barn. The slats have been made so that the farmer can open them and allow air flow through the barn. Clever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When you are too hot and tired to care where you stop to eat. In all fairness, the salad Erika had was great. Marvin was less impressed with his meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just love the window boxes. There must we quite a commitment to care to keep them looking so beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Erika's good salad and Marvin's not as good meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are always pleased when we find a stop in the shade. We were even more excited when we say this one had a pump. Unfortunately, it was not working but did make for a nice picture and a good break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marvin declared the pump rest area "bench of the day". He then sat on the table because it was in the shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always like it when there is clear separation between bikes and cars on bridges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen may corn fields this trip. When I lived in Germany in the 1970's, corn was used as food for livestock. We now also see sweet corn is often used in salads. Diets change as the world shrinks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just in case we were a couple of lost cyclists, they kindly wrote Friesenheim on the pathway so we know where we are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The swiebel (onion) spire on the church in Friesenheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very pretty entry into the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The red and yellow shutters used to be a common site for administrative buildings in southern Germany. This was the first we saw this trip..
Heart 0 Comment 0
You see more painted embellishment of buildings in the south. Here they decorated their shutters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room was small but very clean and, most importantly, cool
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The room was above this restaurant. It was all beautifully maintained.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way into the beer garden and restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The outer court filled up quickly as the evening progressed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marvin ready to tuck in. Actually, the food was very good.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So ended our hottest day on the road. All in all, it was a really nice day and we were very pleased with our accommodation. You can see in the above picture, we made short order of our drinks. What can I say, they were cold and wet!

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,495 km (928 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0