Victoria to San Juan Island - Plan B in Action - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2014

Victoria to San Juan Island

We had plenty of time to make it to Sidney since Washington State ferries has only two departures per day and the noon one goes directly to Anacortes. We wanted the 5:55 p.m. sailing to Friday Harbor. Since we weren't keen on the WSF food offerings, we allowed time to stop at a grocery store in Sidney to get deli stuff for dinner. No fresh fruit or vegetables allowed into the U.S., however, so the pint of blueberries we couldn't resist had to be to polished off in the park adjacent to the ferry terminal--after Al repaired his flat tire.

In the ferry line were several other loaded cyclists. We chatted with one couple who also follow CGOAB, especially the Grampies. Keith and Kathleen were joining friends who had sailed to San Juan Island and would be staying on their boat. They were also planning a trip to Europe and I tried my best to convince them to do a CGOAB journal, even if they couldn't match the Grampies in detailed updates.

Arriving in Friday Harbor was as enticing as I remembered it and the road to Lakedale Resort (I could swear it was Lakedale Campground last time we were here) was familiar too, even after more than 20 years. We didn't have a reservation but there was plenty of room and we were given a very nice site on a small bluff just above one of the little lakes. We set up and enjoyed a cold beer purchased at the campground store on arrival. I don't remember the store. Perhaps that's part of becoming a "resort" but I like it. The beer was cold and refreshing.

Nice view to accompany a cold beer!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 74 km (46 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI thought you were on the road now until you mentioned Friday Harbor. We sure wish we could get into Canada but that looks a long way off. I sure hate what’s happening to our country. I wish I was Canadian!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetAnd here's me wishing I had somewhere to go! Things are just opening up for travel in parts of BC. When the provincial parks campground reservation system opened, it was immediately overloaded and apparently RV rental companies are very busy renting to locals. I'm hoping to get away for a bit this summer, but maybe backpacking instead of cycle touring.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago