Day 2 - Gunnison Colorado to Salida Colorado - It Remains To Be Seen - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2022

Day 2 - Gunnison Colorado to Salida Colorado

It was fairly chilly in Gunnison in the morning with temps in the lower to mid 30's!  The men started out around 9:30 AM. A stop was made at Sargents and they ordered hamburgers before starting the climb up Monarch. Going up Monarch the ride speed was around 4mph. The traffic was insane! It was difficult to ride the white line with two cars passing you, one in the right lane and one in the passing lane. There happened to be a bicycle event that created all the home bound traffic! Jerrell was able to climb to the top and ride down the other side. His maximum downhill speed was 49mph. James made a wise decision to turn around. Phoenix prototype I has a more slack head tube as the production models and the fork does not have as much offset, therefore it did not handle as well as Jerrell's prototype II. James is in need of a production model steel Phoenix! Jerrell says the ride is a difficult one! I can only imagine!

Written by Kara Nichols.

15 miles east of Gunnison
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating at Sargents, Colorado
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gift shop at the Monarch Summit
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 143 miles (230 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithOK, Kara, lower 30's is more than "fairly chilly"! The guys must be pretty tough. Congratulations to Jerrell to making it over the Monarch Summit. How long did the climb take at 4mph? (And, you can tell James that I know of a fabulously equipped production steel Phoenix for sale :))
Reply to this comment
1 year ago